Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsidence

Options
  • 18-10-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Looks like my house has this! :mad::mad:
    Could cost a lot to get this fixed.
    But could it cost EUR10,000-15,000?
    I am getting a survey done but do I have any recourse against the guy who did the survey ten years ago when I bought the house or the builder.
    Would this much of the price beyond the cost of repair?
    Plus could this happen in 15-20 years even if repaired.
    All advice welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If the person who surveyed it did a "visual survey only" - which 99% of surveys are - and there was no evidence of subsidence at the time then there was nothing he could have done. The builder might be an avenue but you'll probably find he is either gone or gone bankrupt or no longer insured. Is the house in the Homebond scheme? This only lasts 10 years of course.

Also if you only discovered it now it could be something that happened in the last ten years that caused it. Have you made any changes to the house or changes to the garden that could alter the water movement on site? Also leaking pipes are a big problem in cases like this - any signs that you have a leak?

Have you checked if your house insurance would cover the rehabilitation.

To answer your question about "could it happen again" you first need to answer the question as to why it happened now.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

Looks like my house has this! :mad::mad:
    Could cost a lot to get this fixed.
    But could it cost EUR10,000-15,000?
    I am getting a survey done but do I have any recourse against the guy who did the survey ten years ago when I bought the house or the builder.
    Would this much of the price beyond the cost of repair?
    Plus could this happen in 15-20 years even if repaired.
    All advice welcome. :)
    Insurance likely won't cover issues due to bad construction, however if the subsidence is caused by a broken / leaking pipe, you may be covered. Perhaps your surveyor will find a damaged pipe during the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jenny15

Hello everyone,

Me and my partner are buying a house in galway city, basically we have done snag list and it has subsidence, extension build on without planning permission need to be knocked down and a wall put back in plus new internal walls.

Blue mold is in the walls due to damp and no proper ventilation.

I need an advice and looking for a registered builder to do them for affordable price. Does anyone have an idea how much it can cost in total to fix them please.

I appreciate for all the advice and help.
    Regards
    Prema

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Jenny15 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Me and my partner are buying a house in galway city, basically we have done snag list and it has subsidence, extension build on without planning permission need to be knocked down and a wall put back in plus new internal walls.

Blue mold is in the walls due to damp and no proper ventilation.

I need an advice and looking for a registered builder to do them for affordable price. Does anyone have an idea how much it can cost in total to fix them please.

I appreciate for all the advice and help.
    Regards
    Prema

If you haven't closed the deal yet just walk away. Sounds like a complete disaster, No right minded solicitor would let this deal go through. madness.:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement