Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a portrait screen.

Options
  • 18-10-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

Hey guy does anybody know what the diagonal dimension of a screen would be if the portrait height is 16.5 inches or landscaped width 16.5 inches.

I want to get a second monitor to put beside my current screen a 32 inch Samsung smart TV (its height is 16.5 inches top to bottom). I will put it sideways so it doesn't necessarily have to be a portrait monitor. I'm not looking for a 4k or high refresh rate monitor. 1080p 60hz will do! I will settle for 720.

Another thing I would like to use second monitor for is a second screen for is the Virgin box for when the footy is on and I'm wanting to do stuff on the pc. If its a landscape monitor then the input for the TV will be sideways. Are there any monitors that can flip the image to compensate for orientation on a second input.

I can get a splitter box for the Virgin box https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001D9P1OW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1T39SA8AUFT6J
    and a HDMI switch box for the second input on the monitor if needs be https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EHAAHOW?psc=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

1080p is 16:9 so 16.4 inches wide is equal to about 9.225 inches tall, making the diagonal about 18.5 inches total. Is that just the screen or with the bezel as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

1080p is 16:9 so 16.4 inches wide is equal to about 9.225 inches tall, making the diagonal about 18.5 inches total. Is that just the screen or with the bezel as well?

Would like to have it fit snug beside the 32" 16.5 is the height of the bezel screen is 15¾" high. Jeez 18.5 I was looking 23" monitors ta.

If 16.5 is the bezel then 18.5 has the bezel there as well, granted the bezel has to be equal for my maths to work.

Windows should handle putting the screen into portrait for you

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Without a bezel you're looking at 17" to play with, thats a size used for 4:3.

At 4:3 though thats only 12" wide so no good an you need to go bigger. Not sure if theres a size that will match just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

If 16.5 is the bezel then 18.5 has the bezel there as well, granted the bezel has to be equal for my maths to work.

Windows should handle putting the screen into portrait for you

Yeah but to use it as a second screen for the tv also. If it was a native portrait the virgin box would try to orientate it landscape with a lower ratio I would think no?

The Samsung TV was advertised as 32" screen but its actually lower than that screen is just over 31.5" and bezel 32¾" diagonally. I will probably be lucky if I find a monitor that sits perfectly with the TV so not gonna gripe 18.5" is a good starting place.

Is there an calculator online for measuring screen size ratio's?

• Advertisement

Not that I know of, I used Pythagoras theorum.

Diagonal Length^2 = Width^2 + Length ^2

If diagonal length is 21, then W^2+L^2 =441

441/25=17.64

17.64*16= 282.24=W^2
    W=16.8

That's for 16:9 aspect ratios, for 4:3 you'd divide 441 by 7 and multiply the answer by 4 to get the width.

Advertisement