Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Safety Evolution has made the game more dangerous

Options
  • 18-10-2016 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Watching the 06 final last night it's so apparent at the difference between then and now. I've come to the conclusion that some of the rules to make the game more popular and safer have resulted in a slower more dangerous game.

Scrums - 06 Set-Engage ... 16 Set-Hold-Touch-Engage ...
    Result potentially 2 or 3 mins of scrum setting and teams with stronger scrum milking penalties... Because of this the back lines can be bigger and heavier because the game will be slower

Defensive lines - 06 behind last foot (as far as I remember) ... now 5 yards or meters behind line.
    Result Defensive players pushing up hard and gaining momentum resulting in harder hits, to counter this players have bulked up because power is more important now then speed/skill

There was a few more things that I just can't think of now but be interested to see what people think.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,276 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Do you realise neither the scrum call not the defensive line laws you state are correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭ec18

haven't the new scrum laws depowered the scrums by 50%?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Do you realise neither the scrum call not the defensive line laws you state are correct?

Defensive line is correct with regard to scrums. Not very well worded by the OP.

It's only on very few plays per game though that it even comes into effect.

EDIT: My opinion is that scrums are much safer and I like the extra space (as a backrow forward who occasionally attacks off a scrum when everyone with talent/pace are unavailable) and I don't feel it's any more dangerous than before. Overall the ELVs have been very positive for attacking rugby. Biggest change has been the approach to the breakdown. I think the breakdown is slightly more dangerous I guess but much more positive for the sport.

Advertisement