Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports 5, 8pm tonight - HC Final 2006 will be shown

Options
  • 17-10-2016 4:29pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Simon Thomas Retweeted
    Laura-Jane Jones ‏@MissLJJ 4m4 minutes ago
    Tonight at 8pm on @skysports 5, the 2006 #HeinekenCup Final, where the late Anthony Foley lifted the trophy 🏆

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well fair play to Sky....think I'll watch that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nice,

I remember watching it down in Cork at the time having great craic (even if I am a DUB), can't remember the pub but nevertheless it was manic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Thats still one of the happiest days of my life.
    In the stadium with my dad and brother, balling my eyes out at 15 years old.
    Was at the 2002 final loss and the two lost semi-finals of 2003 and 2004 against Toulouse and Wasps respectively. So the flood of emotions from everyone that day, not just myself, was incredible at the final whistle.

I have Axel and the other players that day to thank for one of the most joyous moments of my life.
    Anthony, you will never me forgotten in my heart......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thats still one of the happiest days of my life.
    In the stadium with my dad and brother, balling my eyes out at 15 years old.
    Was at the 2002 final loss and the two lost semi-finals of 2003 and 2004 against Toulouse and Wasps respectively. So the flood of emotions from everyone that day, not just myself, was incredible at the final whistle.

I have Axel and the other players that day to thank for one of the most joyous moments of my life.
    Anthony, you will never me forgotten in my heart......

I was there myself. Born and bred Leinster fan but it was such a great Munster side and such a great occasion in Cardiff for everyone (except the Biarritz fans I guess). The celebrations after it were special.

What that team achieved during those years was so crucial in putting Irish rugby where it is today. That pack and those iconic half backs will not be forgotten soon, especially the likes of Axel.

I'll try tune in myself, I'm sure pre-ELV rugby will seem a little strange to watch after getting so used to the new laws!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Any Cork pub showing this tonight or tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That was the day/night of my Dad's 50th, I asked him did he want to go to the game, "no, sure the party is on" he says. We both still regret that.
    What a game, Halstead wrecking ball drive to the line and Stringer's try - I don't think I've ever celebrated anything like that since, the cameraman was sold the dummy and all.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

razorblunt wrote: »
    Halstead wrecking ball .

something Munsters backline really could do with these days too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Adbrowne wrote: »
    something Munsters backline really could do with these days too

Agreed, proof you don't need to sign a big name or a guy to relocate and live her permanently to be a hit.
    I had really hoped we would convert Pat Howard's temp contract to a full one, he was the closest to him really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Refreshing to see how quickly scrums were formed even back then.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Apparently this will be repeated a few times this week. Fair play to Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Sky are showing this again tonight. 8 p.m. on SS5.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

For those without Sky Sports, RTE will show highlights of the 2006 European Cup final on Saturday at 6:25pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

icdg wrote: »
    For those without Sky Sports, RTE will show highlights of the 2006 European Cup final on Saturday at 6:25pm.

Best HC final of them all. No question about that. Hard to believe it's over 10 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Rightwing wrote: »
    Best HC final of them all. No question about that. Hard to believe it's over 10 years ago now.

It was class. Stringer was immense that day. It's hard to believe that he's still playing European championship rugby. Some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Akrasia wrote: »
    It was class. Stringer was immense that day. It's hard to believe that he's still playing European championship rugby. Some man.
    He made his Heineken Cup debut for Munster against Perpignan on 10 October 1998 according to his wiki bio :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dave62

Stringer playing in tonight's game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Watched it in a jammed Clohessy's, first time I shed a tear at a sporting event. There were many people in a similar state around me. I remember everyone just turning and hugging the person next to them, regardless of whether they knew them or not.

One of those days where sport unifies everyone. For Munster fans it felt like we'd finally reached the promised land. A day I'll never forget.

Advertisement