Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary schools in Dublin 15

Options
  • 17-10-2016 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I am looking for a good secondary school in Dublin 15 or outside. I have only the following choices in hand, not sure how each of the following rate in terms of good overall education and good mature teachers, may be keep them in order as you rate them:

1. Le Cheila Secondary school
    2. Santanta Secondary School
    3. Lutterstown Secondary School
    4. St. Peters Secondary School, DunBoyne
    5. Coolmine Secondary School
    6. St. Vincent Secondary School , Glasnavin

(I am not including St. Vincent Castleknock and Castleknock Community College).

From my side I would order them as 2, 6, 1, 4, 3, 5

Let me know you opinion.

Thanks,

Vijay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭wardie101

If you are not in one of the feeder schools for Setanta you will have no chance to get in and even if in one of the feeder schools it is still a lottery as hugely over subscribed.
    No idea what its like to get into the others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

I don't think anyone will know enough to rate all these schools but from my knowledge I would have placed Coolmine above Le Cheila and Luttrellstown with regard to teachers and standards. If you are marking on mission statement and image the others may rate higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Le Cheile is the same. Massively over subscribed and a lottery to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

An Educate Together secondary school has just opened in Hansfield (near Ongar) last month. I believe they were operating out of temporary premises in the nearby primary school prior to this. There was an interesting documentary on it on RTE a few months back which seemed to show a lot of positive energy and attitude about the school. Maybe check out their website to get an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

You've included St Vincents in Glasnevin, which is a bit of a journey from Dublin 15. If Glasnevin is within the areas under consideration, then St Declan's, Nephin Road, or O'Connell's on North Circular Road may also be of interest. I'm excluding St Dominic's on the basis that the only single sex school included was a boys school.

I went to Coolmine myself, but that was a lifetime ago, so couldn't comment on the school now. My son goes to St Declans, and I think it's a marvellous school. Good standards, led well. Great for my son and his friends. It's a five minute walk from the train station, so it works if you live near the maynooth train line.

I'm not in a position to comment on any of the other schools listed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Google says it's 12mins, it's a minor difference.

Vincents is very awkward from D.15. I wouldn't consider that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

beauf wrote: »
    Google says it's 12mins, it's a minor difference.

Vincents is very awkward from D.15. I wouldn't consider that.

Google might say 12 mins :). But reality says, way much longer at rush hour to or from D15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Google might say 12 mins :). But reality says, way much longer at rush hour to or from D15.

They're talking about walking from broom bridge station to St. Declans

The station area would not be a great location in the evening. The canal is also a good cycle route. But likewise probably won't be considered for similar reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

beauf wrote: »
    The station area would not be a great location in the evening. The canal is also a good cycle route. But likewise probably won't be considered for similar reasons.

I'd have had similar reservations myself regarding the canal/train station, but the experience over 2 and a bit years has only been positive. He's had no problems on that score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

When the Luas depot opens it will totally change the face of and security around Broombridge station. It will be fine once the LUAS opens and the area around it is already fine. St. Declan's used to be a pretty poor school with a great reputation but I believe it is much improved over the years and the standards have improved greatly as it has had to compete with the increased reputation of other local schools.

I expect the luas will bring more pedestrian traffic in the area. Which should help.

The Canal path is a great cycle route, I've never had any problems on it either, but I haven't been on it too late. Its a pity its not more popular. Its a great option for D.15 into town etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

This is what I know

1. Le Cheila Secondary school - Strict catchement area, Tyrrelstown and it's Catholic so that comes into enrollment too. Catholic's given preference
    2. Santanta Secondary School - Strict catchement and they do their enrolment whle your child is in 5th class so it's easy to miss.
    3. Lutterstown Secondary School - I have friends with kids in this school. It's quite new but they're happy with it. Strict Catchement. I couldn't get a place for my son, I live in Mulhuddart.
    4. St. Peters Secondary School, DunBoyne No idea
    5. Coolmine Secondary School - I know lots of kids who go to this school. It has a good reputation and is very established. Good for sport. Not so strict with catchement. Lots of kids from Mulhuddart and Tyrrelstown get places.
    6. St. Vincent Secondary School , Glasnavin no idea

My son goes to Hansfield ETSS. It actually opened 2 years ago, just moved into the new building on September. My son is in first year and so far so good. He's happy.

Good luck. I found getting a secondary school place very stressful

Advertisement