Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankroll Management

Options
  • 16-10-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what bankroll management strategies people here use.

Do you have a separate betting bankroll? Do you bet a fixed percentage? Do you have an opinion if the bet offers value or you just go by feel that today is the day the bet will win?

What bankroll management strategy do you use? 11 votes

I don't have a separate betting bankroll
    0% 0 votes
    I bet a fixed percentage of my betting bankroll
    9% 1 vote
    I randomly decide what percentage to bet from my betting bankroll
    63% 7 votes
    I calculate the percentage change of a bet winning and use a formula to generate the bet percentage
    27% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Most important part of gambling in the long term is bankroll management.

Keep gambling and your living expenses strictly separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

Small number of answers relative to the number of thread views for something which, as you say, is crucial. It would be good to have a discussion about this with a few people pitching in with different approaches but it seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If people don't bankroll they don't win, it's really that simple.

I use a points system generally.

1pt = X amount.

I increase point stakes per what I think is the outcome.

As in previous thread 2 tips tonight. a 1pt and a 2pt. Most I usually go is 5pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Division wrote: »
    Small number of answers relative to the number of thread views for something which, as you say, is crucial. It would be good to have a discussion about this with a few people pitching in with different approaches but it seems unlikely.

The majority of punters aren't really bothered with making money long-term. They won't admit it but if they had one bet a week, they would be happier having one big winner at say 18/1 in one week over a 20-week period than not to have had the bets at all, even though they're down long-term. To be honest, if you view betting as a hobby and entertainment then that is a perfectly acceptable way to do it but if you are in any way serious about it (even at a small stakes level) then you can't bet like this.

Sure you only have to look at the Bet365 thread on here to see the mentality. People putting the first €50 on "sure things" like "under 4.5 goals in the 1st half" and stuff like that at odds of like 1/16. If it's such a sure thing then why not back it in every possible game? Why risk that €50 at all? Just bet both sides of the same market (one on Bet365 and one elsewhere) and take the loss of €2 and then you have a free €50 to bet with.

I rarely have a bet anymore but when I was betting regularly I was a level stakes man but with stakes varying depending on the sport, so Football & NFL would have had a stake that was double that for Horse-Racing

I have a very specific betting style which means greater than 90% of my bets are in a few specific markets and the odds are generally within a tight range.

Given my bankroll = €X

I will bet a fixed percentage of Y%.

When my bankroll increases or decreases by Z% I will recalculate my bet of Y%.

Within the Range of X-Z% or X+Z% all my bets will be for the same stake.

Hopefully that makes sense to everyone.

I'll give an example

(1) Bankroll = €1,000

(2) I bet a fixed percentage of 5% = €50

I will continue to stake €50 on all my bets until my bankroll hits either €750 (-25%) or €1,250 (+25%)

Once I hit either of these thresholds I will bet 5% of that amount until my bankroll either increases or decreases by 25% and so on.

The larger your bankroll the smaller your stake percentage and win/loss thresholds should be.

• Advertisement

If people don't bankroll they don't win, it's really that simple.

I use a points system generally.

1pt = X amount.

I increase point stakes per what I think is the outcome.

As in previous thread 2 tips tonight. a 1pt and a 2pt. Most I usually go is 5pts.

Is 1 point = % of your bankroll or a monetary amount regardless of your bankroll size?

How do you decide what is a 2pt bet versus a 3pt bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Division wrote: »
    Is 1 point = % of your bankroll or a monetary amount regardless of your bankroll size?

How do you decide what is a 2pt bet versus a 3pt bet?

It will drop down mate, or I tend to take a break.

I bet low stakes points tbh, as I don't have a bankroll for €50 for 1pt.

I don't judge anybody on the stakes they wager, to me it just means they may have a better paying job, more free cash around etc

My issue is probably I to do to many 'silly' bets. like 0.5pt on an AT goalscorer.

Quick glimpse of my tracker on football since last night is this :

https://gyazo.com/3b7f067a991ec0a255129fa85bc85f6f

The amount of money that someone stakes is not really relevant. Just percentages and yields. In order words "Do you know what you are doing?"

I have a similar tracker, must come up with a colour scheme like yours to quickly identify w-l-p bets. I'm building a better spreadsheet that allows me to filter bets for better analysis.

Advertisement