Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7950 Upgrade Options

Options
  • 16-10-2016 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

You gave me some very good advice almost 4 years ago, and i'm considering an upgrade. The current system is: 16GB RAM, i5-3570K, 7950 3GB and I play games @ 1080/60Hz.

Quick example of games i'm playing right now are:
    • Tomb Raider
    • Rocket League

I would like to play:
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider (I assume that I will struggle with this on the 7950)

What if I got a second 7950 and ran two cards in the system, would that be a good idea?
    What cards are good value for money at the moment? Budget could be 200 - 300. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

HS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

If you want to see the full spec of the system, here it is:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81967510

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

RX 480

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

HotSwap wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

You gave me some very good advice almost 4 years ago, and i'm considering an upgrade. The current system is: 16GB RAM, i5-3570K, 7950 3GB and I play games @ 1080/60Hz.

Quick example of games i'm playing right now are:
    • Tomb Raider
    • Rocket League

I would like to play:
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider (I assume that I will struggle with this on the 7950)

What if I got a second 7950 and ran two cards in the system, would that be a good idea?
    What cards are good value for money at the moment? Budget could be 200 - 300. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

HS.
    Is it struggling to play tomb raider?if its playing that at levels you are happy with Its should be fine for the sequel, albeit not at top notch settings. Buy the game, try it out on the hd7950, if you feel you need to upgrade then as above look at an rx470/480 or the nvidia 1060.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Me personally. I'd avoid crossfire or sli for that matter. Sell the 7950 and upgrade to a stronger single card solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

HD7950 is still pretty OK and would definitely get through Tomb Raider at a decent enough level as Lu Tze said. The logical upgrade to a HD7950 to me would probably be a GTX1060 6GB at around €250+. If you're looking to save a bit, RX470 4GB at around €200. Should get €100 for the 7950 or so so it's not a huge financial hit.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input guys.

No votes for buying another 7950 and having a two card setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks for the input guys.

No votes for buying another 7950 and having a two card setup?

No, dual card solutions are pointless for people with a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No, dual card solutions are pointless for people with a budget.

:pac:;)

If I went for the 1060, would it be a relatively straight forward switch over operation? Just switch the cards, uninstall the AMD drivers, install the nvidia drivers and away I go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If I went for the 1060, would it be a relatively straight forward switch over operation? Just switch the cards, uninstall the AMD drivers, install the nvidia drivers and away I go?

Pretty much tho I would suggest using a driver cleaner to make sure all previous GPU driver bits get removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    :pac:;)

If you have the money, go ahead and buy dual Titan XP's to game at 4k Ultra. For everybody else, buy the best single card for your budget.

Advertisement