Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Russell toilet issue

Options
  • 16-10-2016 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello everyone how are you ?

I'm asking for advices today.

I've got a 5 months old jack russell that behave in most points, he does not bark all the time, he does not destroy furnitures etc ...

The only issue is toilet time.

He does go to toilet more than 5 times per day.

He always minds his own business outside no problem but at home only at night I've got the felling that he can hold his basic needs for to long so every night he does his own business inside.

We have tried to dont blame him first , then blamed him a bit.

So if any of you have tricks to help my little guy to be clean at night I'll love to ear it.

Regards

C.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

barry1708 wrote: »
    Hello everyone how are you ?

I'm asking for advices today.

I've got a 5 months old jack russell that behave in most points, he does not bark all the time, he does not destroy furnitures etc ...

The only issue is toilet time.

He does go to toilet more than 5 times per day.

He always minds his own business outside no problem but at home only at night I've got the felling that he can hold his basic needs for to long so every night he does his own business inside.

We have tried to dont blame him first , then blamed him a bit.

So if any of you have tricks to help my little guy to be clean at night I'll love to ear it.

Regards

C.

How often are you getting up throughout the night to let him out? I've always been ultra-cautious. I'd be bringing a 5 month old pup out every 3 to 3.5 hours depending on the progress they're making. My own Jack Russell is 9 months old and she's only now at the 7 hour stage, which for me is a full-night so I have her where I want her. I realise my time-frame is slower than others but it's proven to be bullet-proof. I done the same with my Staff and he hasn't had an accident since he was three months old. He's 5 now and will literally knock the back door when he wants to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, your post is not quite clear so excuse me if Im getting what you are asking wrong...

Your 5 month old puppy is still only a baby, you cant expect him to last through the night without pee-ing. You must never BLAME a puppy for toileting inside - hes doing that either because he was not taken out on time, or because he hasnt been fully toilet trained yet. A dog will never choose to toilet indoors, if they are trained and able to go outdoors.

What is your routine?
    I think you are saying that the puppy toilets outside fine during the day?
    Last thing at night you must bring the puppy outside, and make sure he goes to the toilet. Im assuming he will have poo'd at some stage during the day? At some stage during the night you will have to get up and let him out again to pee if you are hoping for no accidents on the floor overnight.

LOTS of praise for the puppy when he pee's/poo's outside. NEVER shout at him or frighten him if he has an accident indoors. Positive reinforcement will produce a happy well adjusted dog.

The best way to toilet train a puppy is to take him out many times during the day. Associate a word with the act, and tons of praise when he does the job. Its up to you to get the puppy outside to toilet. He cant open doors! When he is so young he may not realize he has to pee, so keep bringing him outside for a few mins, say the word - whatever you've chosen - over and over, and then when he does the pee/poo, praise and make a fuss! Eventually the pup will associate your chosen word/command with the act of toileting, until hes old enough to 'ask' to be let outside to toilet.

Good luck with your puppy - post a pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭barry1708

Hi everyone ,
    How are you ?
    First of all I wanted to wish you a happy new year.

Just wanted to give you a quick update on bandit our jack Russell .

Well basically he is doing great at the moment he is almost 10 months old now and still has some toilets issue but he can stay clean 2 nights in a row even 3 nights sometimes .

His new game is to poop inside of the house while we are here ... which is annoying me a lot as we take him to outside every hour and a half when we are home.
    He can stay hours alone and do nothing while we are away and he can poop in front of us when we are here ...

Have you ever experienced any behaviors like that with your own dog ?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

let the dog out last thing at night before you go to bed and again quite early in the morning so the dog begins to learn when you come to get it, is when its time to go out to the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Reward it for pooing outside. Walks help too 'cos the walking stimulates the need to poo.

• Advertisement

Hi Latatian, thanks for your reply.

Bandit has been cleaned for the last 5 days, we has a little issue this morning but it's part of my fault as I've been to bed around 9Pm yesterday.

I'll keep you guys posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

With our dog- if I go to bed early either my husband will take him out last thing before bed or I've gotten up around 11.30 to talks him out.
    I think when they are used to a routine of 11pm and 7am, it's a big ask to expect them to hold for an extra few hours. And I hate cleaning up more than I hate sticking on a coat over my jammies and standing in the garden saying it's bedtime go pee.

Hi guys how are you ? Got an update for you maybe you could help me.

Our little bandit is starting to get home trained !

But he is also peeing and pooping at home when we are here .

We take him to outside when we are home every 30/45 minutes

We think about getting him neutered maybe it might help.

Thanks to let me know.

Advertisement