Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android box or HTPC

Options
  • 14-10-2016 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hey,

So not sure here, how much is a good android box? Are those chinese ones any good?

How much is a good HTPC? I'd imagine one of these is the far better option?

Opinions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

An android box will be cheaper and quieter. I got one off ebay for 30 euro.

I've built and bought htpcs and stuff before.

Personally, I wouldn't get an Android box with less than 2gb ram. I managed to get an M8S+ for €42 delivered, but they seem more like €50-60 now.

There are a lot of boxes with 1gb ram that 'do the trick' for a lot cheaper, but I wouldn't view them as decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Nvidia shield tv

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Big Turd wrote: »
    Hey,

So not sure here, how much is a good android box? Are those chinese ones any good?

How much is a good HTPC? I'd imagine one of these is the far better option?

Opinions please?

If by "good" you mean reliable and crash free then no, they do tend to be less reliable that something build on a solid OS such as Linux or Windows. But they are the cheapest option. If you want something low cost and just want to run kodi pick one with good reputation and can be flashed with OpenElec/Libreelec.

Better options? NUC or other HTPC solution or even the Raspberry Pi if you don't mind the necessary tinkering to put all the pieces together.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd always had a good HTPC. Mostly self built.

However I gave mine away about 6 month's ago. Stopped using it.

I've an Amazon fire TV now.
    Quiet solid never falls over ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Big Turd

Amazon Fire, is that subscription or whats it all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Big Turd wrote: »
    Amazon Fire, is that subscription or whats it all about?

Its a box designed and built for Amazon. The current model costs £80.00

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-TV-4K-Ultra/dp/B00UH2O6T2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476620945&sr=8-2&keywords=Fire+TV.

Currently not delivering to Ireland, but if you have family/friends in UK or North, you could arrange delivery to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Big Turd

Oh it has a usb port, so you can plug a HDD into it?

My internet speeds wouldn't be great at all though for the streaming end of things.

I've never used Kodi, can you put that on it or is it closed source type of thing?

The build quality on this should be good, better than the android boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Basil3 wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't get an Android box with less than 2gb ram. I managed to get an M8S+ for €42 delivered, but they seem more like €50-60 now.

There are a lot of boxes with 1gb ram that 'do the trick' for a lot cheaper, but I wouldn't view them as decent.

If price wasn't an issue what's the best Android box out there at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Nvidia shield tv, it's powerful enough to be a Plex server and has Plex support but also will play a decent selection of games

• Advertisement

As mentioned above, probably Nvidia Shield TV

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Big Turd wrote:
    I've never used Kodi, can you put that on it or is it closed source type of thing?

It runs kodi very well. The build is top quality

I never put a HDD drive in it, can't see it being an issue though, but check it.

Advertisement