Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's best way to remove weed barrier?

Options
  • 14-10-2016 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I'm tackling a flower bed that's planted with some shrubs and one horrible evergreen and is now choked with weeds. Some years ago (possibly 20+ years) weed barrier was laid over most of the bed. Gravel was placed on top around the plants.

I thought I'd dig out the weeds. Forgot there was weed barrier under there. In some places it's near the surface and the weeds growing on top are shallow rooted. I've been pulling it off those areas, trying to remove the gravel too.

But in another area the weed block is about 8-12" deep. The weeds/grass growing on top have formed a thick mat. Any suggestions on how to remove this?

Another issue I have is that the conifer in the corner of the bed has ghastly orange roots that have compounded the problem. As I try to dig, I keep hitting them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you will probably find you have to just clear up the whole thing and start again. Been there, and that is the reason why I do not use barrier on flower/shrub beds any more.

Scrape off and remove the pebbles. It is possible you might be able to rescue any of the shrubs that you like - pull the barrier from around them and check that there is no infestation of scutch or convolvulus. Keep pulling on the barrier, pull it back on itself, and hopefully the mat of weeds will come with it - dump the lot. You will find a stanley knife handy for ripping the barrier into manageable pieces, and for removing it from round the shrubs. It really is a 'brute force' job. When you have cleared away the barrier, and the conifer, dig out any remaining large weed roots, dig the area over, and you will probably need to top up the bed with soil.

Put in any new shrubs etc then, if you wish, apply a thick layer of wood/bark chips. Hand weed this as necessary and top up the chips every year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

looksee wrote: »
    I think you will probably find you have to just clear up the whole thing and start again. Been there, and that is the reason why I do not use barrier on flower/shrub beds any more.

Scrape off and remove the pebbles. It is possible you might be able to rescue any of the shrubs that you like - pull the barrier from around them and check that there is no infestation of scutch or convolvulus. Keep pulling on the barrier, pull it back on itself, and hopefully the mat of weeds will come with it - dump the lot. You will find a stanley knife handy for ripping the barrier into manageable pieces, and for removing it from round the shrubs. It really is a 'brute force' job. When you have cleared away the barrier, and the conifer, dig out any remaining large weed roots, dig the area over, and you will probably need to top up the bed with soil.

Put in any new shrubs etc then, if you wish, apply a thick layer of wood/bark chips. Hand weed this as necessary and top up the chips every year or so.
    Thanks very much for that. I considered leaving part of the weed barrier where it's sitting on top with just layer of gravel on top, but I should probably pull it all out. But I'm finding the matted area very difficult to deal with. It's as thick as a mattress.

The conifer is another day's (or week's work). Will need someone with a chainsaw to tackle that. I don't think it would be possible to dig it out. Hoping that if it's just cut off at the base, that it will die.

The out-of-focus photo was taken a few weeks ago. I'd already tussled with the tree, which is not looking the better for my attempt to tidy it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It seems a small area. Just bull in to it like looksee suggests. A few hours will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You do not need a chain saw to get rid of the conifer. I have a small pruning saw (it folds into the handle and was about €12 I think, best garden saw I ever had) and recently took down a bush at least as big as that. Cut off all the branches first, leaving yourself with a bare-ish trunk, then cut through the trunk at the base. Yes, it will rot away though I would be inclined to try and get out some of the bigger bits of root (saw them off).

Advertisement