Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build for a graphic designer/ game dev hobbyist

Options
  • 14-10-2016 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

My old custom built PC finally died and I need to get a new one. I'm looking for something I can run photoshop CC/Illustrator CC on along with cinema 4D, Unity and Gamemaker. I have tried out a friends iMac and while I like the display I'm not a fan of OSX and it will not run a lot of my PS plugins or game dev programs. I know I can run windows through bootcamp but I've heard that that can cause issues sometimes when you have multiple people working on the same file. Is it worth getting an iMac and running windows through bootcamp or can I build something better for less and purely run windows? I would need a good monitor too along with a graphics card capable of dual display (Is that standard now?)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

You could definitely build something to a higher specification than the imac for less.

In my opinion, you won't be able to built something a "slick."

But if you're only going to run Windows and you don't mind a separate monitor and computer then self build is the way to go.*

* The imac is a beautiful piece of kit though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Alopexdog

The iMac is slick, there is no doubt. I'm not all that picky about looks though, I need something that will do the job well, I know some designers like it to look the part but I'm working from home so a separate monitor and computer is fine. I'm just a bit unsure of what would be good to get. I had a friend build the last one for me but they're on the other side of the world now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Don't worry - some of the lads here are very good at speccing up computers within specific budgets to give you exactly what you need! Copy and paste the questionnaire from the sticky thread at the top of the forum and answer the questions in it. That'll give everybody something to work on.

1. What is your budget? €1000-1500 cheaper the better to be honest

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Graphic design, 3D design and game dev (This part is mostly hobby) possible

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Possibly yes, I can't find the serial for my win 7 professional disk

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No they're ancient now

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. around 24'

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes if it's not too risky.

8. How can you pay? Credit or Debit card

9. When are you purchasing? Within the next few months, hopefully soon

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I should be OK, I've basic knowledge about assembling older machines. Can install RAM and Hard drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Alopexdog wrote: »
    1. What is your budget? €1000-1500 cheaper the better to be honest

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Graphic design, 3D design and game dev (This part is mostly hobby) possible

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Possibly yes, I can't find the serial for my win 7 professional disk

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No they're ancient now

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. around 24'

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes if it's not too risky.

8. How can you pay? Credit or Debit card

9. When are you purchasing? Within the next few months, hopefully soon

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I should be OK, I've basic knowledge about assembling older machines. Can install RAM and Hard drives.

Your not going to go comparing a 27inch retina two and a half grand Imac against a 1k build with screens included, are you?

• Advertisement

I should have stated that I only need 1 monitor. I have a Wacom cintiq that needs to be hooked up too and that takes up a DVI slot (I will need to upgrade this at some stage too....) The iMac my friend has is from 2011, the screen is 21.5. Size doesn't matter as much as colour does. My friend got a 27' Samsung display for €150 that has excellent colour but I might not be that lucky!

From your posts, you put a huge emphasis on the screen rather then the actual computer. I think the best option for you would be to pick up a good IPS monitor for under 500 and get a pc with the remaining cash. Its one of the reasons Mac's stand out to people, they have very high quality screens by default.

Something like this, this or this with a 600 quid budget for a PC to power it.

Do you play top end games or just make and play low spec indie type titles?

I'm making low end indie games, mostly with 2D sprites. I was just branching into 3D when my computer kicked the bucket. I really only need good colour as my main income is graphic design which is all static so I can get a better screen later on if I really start to take the 3D stuff seriously. Am I making any sense? I admit that I am better with software than hardware!

Alopexdog wrote: »
    I'm making low end indie games, mostly with 2D sprites. I was just branching into 3D when my computer kicked the bucket. I really only need good colour as my main income is graphic design which is all static so I can get a better screen later on if I really start to take the 3D stuff seriously. Am I making any sense? I admit that I am better with software than hardware!

Makes sense, my other half is a graphic designer too.

Couple of things. For the work that your doing, you don't need a strong system in terms of hardware. A mid range cpu and low end graphics card will be more then enough for what you need now or in the future.

Screens are a weird subject in the pc world. Most folks here would focus on gaming, in which refresh rate and response time are kings. What you are looking for is colour accuracy and depth, with a high resolution and size for more working area. Apple are actually really impressive at both providing good displays and calibrating them, one of the few reasons why graphic designers still flock to them. Other manufacturers, not so much and its a failing on their part really.

I'd pick up the BenQ above. Large screen, good working area, 10bit display, great panel and pretty good color calibration for the price.

If you can afford it, a colorimeter is a great purchase for the next decade.

The guys here can do you up a small pc for the rest of the cash.

Cheers! I will definitely be putting some money towards a colorimeter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£181.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£84.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: Panram Ninja-V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£49.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£81.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 460 2GB Red Dragon Video Card (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case (£30.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£38.70 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit (£161.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Monitor: Dell U2715H 27.0" 60Hz Monitor (£398.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £1198.01
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-14 23:35 BST+0100

Full disclosure: I don't know enough about Win10 Pro to know if it is worth it over regular Win10.

Advertisement