Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop turning itself on and other things

Options
  • 14-10-2016 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

So I have HP Pavilion 15 e078sa laptop.
    I'm having what you could call power issues.

It wont turn on with the battery in.
    If I plug in the AC with the battery in it wont work either.

However, If I take the battery out and drain the power by holding the power for a few seconds, then connect the AC It will work no problem.

The battery is charging fine and once it's powered on I can disconnect the AC and it works fine on battery.
    I've also ran a diagnostic on the battery which reported it was fine.

Sometimes, the orange charger button on the side will stay on even when there's no charger connected and the laptop is powered off.

It has turned itself on twice.
    This evening it turned itself on and the fan started working overtime.
    I turned it off and on again and it's working again.

I've been taking the battery out when I'm not using it for the last while, particularly at night, as I'd be afraid of it turning itself on when I'm asleep.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

hmmm

When you say it turned itself on. Was the laptop powered off completely? Or sleeping? If you just close the lib, usually the system will sleep, or in other words, it will go into a very low power state. There are numerous things that can wake it from this state. I've found that Windows 10 is terrible for this, and I suspect my machine awakes for updates.

The fans going into overdrive could just mean that it woke up from sleep, sat there silent until the heat built up due to the lid being closed; which then resulted in the fans going.

As for your other issues, it could be lots of things. Faulty battery is possible, or some motherboard issue. Hard to diagnose unfortunately.

Advertisement