Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaspersky internet security for 10 devices

Options
  • 13-10-2016 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Kaspersky internet security 2016 for 10 devices €24.29
    For PC/Android/Mac

VUB5 discount for more saving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

What code is that Vic?
    Also wondering what happens if you already have a licence for this (ie. a 5 device licence for Internet Security 2016) and you buy another now?
    My current licence is good till next March. If I bought another one would it add another year to extend it to March 2018, or would it just start another year from now and I lose the remaining part of my current licence?

VUB5 as per op

vicwatson wrote: »
    VUB5 as per op

Thanks Vic.
    I can see it now on my phone. For some reason the page want displaying properly on my tablet last night and all I could read was the last post which was yours.

Oh yeah, BTW the difference between them seems to be that one is just the basic antivirus without the other bells and whistles.
    I have the total Security version and it seems to have a lot of extra stuff. (Although I don't really use most.)

e.g. Safe Money gives option to open a more secure browser window when you are using sites where purchases will be made e.g. Amazon, eBay, Aliexpress or finance related sites; PayPal, banks, credit/debit card company websites.

Parental filter. Kind of NetNanny thing, don't ue this myself as I have no kids.

Data Encryption. You can create an encrypted vault of files to which you want to apply very high privacy/security. I don't use this either TBH. Doubt North Korea care that I like watching stuff like Arrow or the Walking Dead. Probably more useful for people running for US President or something like that.

Backup and Restore. Again don't use it, but I think it is probably something like "Time Machine" on Macs.

Online Management of your devices. This opens the MyKaspersky website and you can do stuff like initialising a scan on your computers remotely, manually update the virus definitions etc.

Password manager. This is useful.

Privacy Protection. Includes a file shredder and privacy cleaner of some sort. Also monitors attempts to access you webcam, and protects from dodgy websites, phishing etc.

Trusted applications mode. Don't know. I don't use, but I think it is a much stricter enforcement of what apps can run, referenced against a database of trusted applications.

Browser security plugins and other bit and bobs.

This is a sceen capture from the main window and the "More tools" window of Kaspersky Total Security 2016.

399139.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Tony H

duridian wrote: »
    What code is that Vic?
    Also wondering what happens if you already have a licence for this (ie. a 5 device licence for Internet Security 2016) and you buy another now?
    My current licence is good till next March. If I bought another one would it add another year to extend it to March 2018, or would it just start another year from now and I lose the remaining part of my current licence?

I had a current one last year with a few months left and they just overlapped lost about 4 months but got a 3 licence 12 month for about 12 euro so I didn't mind too much

I bought the Kaspersky 1 year 3 pc anti virus . Installed today and ever since then SOME of the websites I was using are now hanging an wont connect, If i open a firefox browser in "Private mode" it wont open any sites?

Anyone know whats going on? No problem with the likes of board, gmail etc some of them just "hang" and wont open, I don't get error message just keeps "working" trying to access them, very annoying, is it possible there is a setting in Kaspersky anti virus that I need to deselect or something? tia

I bought the Kaspersky 1 year 3 pc anti virus . Installed today and ever since then SOME of the websites I was using are now hanging an wont connect, If i open a firefox browser in "Private mode" it wont open any sites?

Anyone know whats going on? No problem with the likes of board, gmail etc some of them just "hang" and wont open, I don't get error message just keeps "working" trying to access them, very annoying, is it possible there is a setting in Kaspersky anti virus that I need to deselect or something? tia

Is it possible that they are being affected by a browser extension that Kaspersky installs?
    I don't know for sure if that applies to the regular Kaspersky Antivirus, but the Total Security edition definitely puts an extension into the browsers on mine. The browser extension blocks banners and monitors cookie data I think, so that could be the root of the problem if your version of Kaspersky has this feature.

I think as you say it is Firefox you use, then you can probably rule out outdated Java or Flash plugins freezing the browser as Firefox simply disables those anyway if they are not up to date for security reasons.

[Edit] In the "Tools" section of mine (Total security 2017) there is also a feature called browser configuration with some diagnostic tools. Is that present in yours?

Cheers, it's weird because I can access somes sites on both wifi and 3G/4G then others on only 3/4G, what's happening?

I will check the diagnostic tools on my laptop

I'm thinking it's a wifi problem, hardly caused by installation of anti virus software???? Can't even access a regular website like the indo via wifi but can access boards

Vic, I was just thinking about what you said re: Wifi and 3g/4g. Could your problem be related to the DNS servers of your ISP?

I have in the past had trouble accessing certain sites using Eir broadband.

In particular the website of Acer, the maker of my pc, when I wanted to get drivers, would render all weird like some WAP site from the late 90's, regardless of what device I used on my home Wifi. In the end I discovered that using Google's DNS servers instead of the ones set as default by eir on my router solved all this weirdness. If you know how to change this setting in your router config it may be worth trying.

The primary Google DNS server address on IPv4 is 8.8.8.8 and the secondary DNS server is 8.8.4.4. They are 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844 respectively for IPv6. Most likely you will only need to set the IPv4 addresses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Public_DNS

• Advertisement

Cheers, but surely installation of kaspersky antivirus can't change my router settings ???

duridian wrote: »
    [Edit] In the "Tools" section of mine (Total security 2017) there is also a feature called browser configuration with some diagnostic tools. Is that present in yours?

Checked this and doesn't seem to be there

I went in to add ons in firefox and disabled Kaspersky, didn't do anything to help

I'm at a loss Vic. I'm sorry, I just don't have any other idea.
    Is theere a tech support live chat option in the Antivirus version?
    Icon in lower left of the main Kaspersky window. Next to the little "gear" icon for settings. Looks kinda like a person wearing one of those Skype headsets with the little boom mike at one side. (Like the ones airline pilots wear.) They might have some idea what's gone wrong for you.

No probs in order not to derail the thread further (apologies to all) I'll bring it to the Comp and Tech forum, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colhickey

Now down to £14.99

Note - this is easily/freely upgradeable to the latest 2017 version of this product.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

My licence is up. Renewal with Kaspersky around €50. But Currys in the north have Kaspersky Total for 3 devices for £20. If I buy ( basically the code from Currys) the Total and I put the code where it says activate now will it accept the Total code. ( I always renew by buying off download crew but they are out of Kaspersky at the moment and can't say when they be available. Basically can I upgrade by buying the 'superior' licence for far less cost? I live in border region so no travel involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

joeysoap wrote: »
    My licence is up. Renewal with Kaspersky around €50. But Currys in the north have Kaspersky Total for 3 devices for £20. If I buy ( basically the code from Currys) the Total and I put the code where it says activate now will it accept the Total code. ( I always renew by buying off download crew but they are out of Kaspersky at the moment and can't say when they be available. Basically can I upgrade by buying the 'superior' licence for far less cost? I live in border region so no travel involved.

Yes you just need to install the correct version and input licence key in the activation screen. As long as its a valid code you will be fine and from currys it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

thanks jhud, oddly Currys here no longer have Kaspersky, hence the NI bit . Looks like you order it and they send it to the store for collection, but all I need is a new activation code, which they advertise as coming with it. (I emailed download crew and received this reply)

At the moment, we simply do not know. Kaspersky HQ started a worldwide pricing review early January and that is continuing - whilst this happens, we’re not allow promotional pricing.

You can get Kaspersky cheap elsewhere whilst they have stock, but other retailers will be starting to run out soon as it affects everyone!

Advertisement