Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you Get Whatsapp To Work On A Tablet, For Someone Who Does Not Have A Smartphone?

Options
  • 13-10-2016 7:29pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My mother is technology illiterate - shes does not have a smartphopne but we are trying to get her going using an android tablet. What i'm wondering is if I can get whatsapp to work for her - as she does not have a smartphone.
    If I remember, you can install whatsapp on a tablet, put in her number and its sends a text with the code - I enter this in the tablet, and then it will work?
    Can anyone confirm is this is correct? Or is there another way around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

As the tablet can't receive texts it won't work that way. I did it ages ago, but involved rooting phone and tablet. Setting up on phone then using titanium backup to move across. Was a pain. Worked fine after that.

You are probably better off not wrecking your head over this, and use hangouts, Skype, etc instead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Actually that's a good point maybe we'll just switch to facebook messenger instead, thanks

I've been trying to explain to people for years that Whatsapp is rubbish for this very reason.

Viber much better setup for an equivalent app. Has tablet compatibility, desktop program, and doesn't rely on your phone being connected to data for other clients to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Zascar wrote: »
    My mother is technology illiterate - shes does not have a smartphopne but we are trying to get her going using an android tablet. What i'm wondering is if I can get whatsapp to work for her - as she does not have a smartphone.
    If I remember, you can install whatsapp on a tablet, put in her number and its sends a text with the code - I enter this in the tablet, and then it will work?
    Can anyone confirm is this is correct? Or is there another way around it?

I have it working on my mother's tablet. I sideloaded the apk. Set it up as you said & a text will go to the phone with a link to confirm set up. Just type this link into the tablets browser & you should be good to go. We can make calls & message as normal. I just update the app every so often as it won't install from the play store as it's not a compatible device.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ah cool, so I can just get it from APKmirror or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I know that there are WhatsApp clients on iOS, so I'm assuming Android have the same. They're not very good though.. If I were you I'd set her up on either FB Messenger or Viber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Zascar wrote: »
    Ah cool, so I can just get it from APKmirror or something?

I just copy the apk from my phone using ES File Manager to create a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Googles allo is another good option

Advertisement