Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are the PPI awards judged?

Options
  • 12-10-2016 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Ive been told that it is mostly PDs on the judging panel but what way does that work? For example, does one person get to decide who gets 1st, 2nd and 3rd place or is it a few judges per category?

What happens if the PD has one of his own presenters in a category he's judging?

Is it just PDs on the judging panel or some CEOs and other higher management types too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Judging panels are not made up entirely of PD's. There would be a few judges for every category, mostly management level people.

They get to listen to all entries in their specific category before they meet up. When judges meet up they then come to a consensus on nominations, runners up and of course the winner.

It can happen that somebody judges a category that his/her station has an entry. Everybody on the panel knows what a quality entry is, or if something is rubbish. Judges have not voted for their own station in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Hair tugging it seems........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

There are some judges from well down the food chain from management involved, as far as I know.
    Also, folks from one person independent radio production companies.

One or two I have heard of are responsible for or involved in some of the worst radio programmes on Irish radio - in my view.

Still, free beef or salmon and a couple of glasses of wine in the Lyrath is not to be passed up in an industry paying mostly subsistance wages. Maybe a chance to settle a few professional scores along the way?

PPI Awards have no traction with the general public. Ask people what PPI do and they mostly think it's a brand of catheter tube.
    I'm told the night itself has all the glamour of a Rathkeale wedding.

Advertisement