Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are people under-insured?

Options
  • 12-10-2016 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

just reading today a Carpenter has had his hand slashed with a knife attack and fears he wont be able to do carpentry ever again.

Do you think that people who depend on using their hands in the line of their work should take out extra insurance should any damage happen to their hands?

Same like Singers or professional speakers and the like that depend on their voices in their line of job , should they take out extra insurance.

And the same with dancers and the like , insure their legs - and people who rely on moving stuff, like removal men and delivery drivers insure their back against long term damage.

Think I read somewhere that comedian Ken Dodd had/has insured his trademark front teeth against damage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

And hookers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Andy I cant sleep at night sometimes for worry that insurance companies don't get enough of our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Just imagine if you insurance your hands because your a self employed carpenter and business gets a but quiet you could (erm accidentally) cut yer hand off one day , claim 40grand on your insurance. What's not to like? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Or they could try something else. It's up to the person.

I don't like the control insurance companies have over everything these days. They have the right to veto so many activities on the grounds that they either won't insure something, or charge to much to insure something.

I think the relationship between the general population and banks needs to be looked at and readjusted. At the moment banks get a cut of so many basic money transactions and have too much control over what people can do through insurance. I know insurance is needed to cover accidents, and it does force an improvement in safety but I just don't like the level of control they can exert over people. They're making money for doing feck all then complaining that they're not making enough money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Ant and Dec have each other insured. If one of them dies, the other gets a huge payout.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote:
    Ant and Dec have each other insured. If one of them dies, the other gets a huge payout.

Clever, they have their heads screwed on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Have you got yourself insured for any skills you have Andy ?

Have you got yourself insured for any skills you have Andy ?

I am not at liberty to provide that personal information :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Just imagine if you insurance your hands because your a self employed carpenter and business gets a but quiet you could (erm accidentally) cut yer hand off one day , claim 40grand on your insurance. What's not to like? Lol

40 grand to cut your hand off? You want to insure it for more than that.

stimpson wrote: »
    40 grand to cut your hand off? You want to insure it for more than that.

how much then? - and does it depend what kind of work you do with your hand, maybe a Surgeon's Hand should be insured for way way more than a carpenters hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Income protection insurance is fierce expensive. Really bloody expensive. Really really bloody expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

how much then? - and does it depend what kind of work you do with your hand, maybe a Surgeon's Hand should be insured for way way more than a carpenters hand?

You do realise what a policy would cost, don't you? Even a carpenter aged 30, earning, say, 35000 a year, would need a payout in excess of over 900,000 to compensate for not being able to work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm thinking 40 grand a year. 40 grand for a lifetime with no **** spanners isn't much.

stimpson wrote: »
    I'm thinking 40 grand a year. 40 grand for a lifetime with no **** spanners isn't much.

ah sure ye still have the other hand ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

We all use our brains... so should we insure our brains against traumatic injury?

Especially if you're wicked smart like me... probably cost 10mill to insure this bad boy! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I consider insurance a form of gambling,

....I win as long as the guards don't stop me. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ken Dodd is 88 and still doing regular five-hour stand up shows.

What a ****ing legend

I'd like to insure my looks ... if I loose them then i'm up sh!tz creek! :D

Ken Dodd is 88 and still doing regular five-hour stand up shows.

What a ****ing legend

What a feckin set of front gnashers! ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I have to have a life insurance policy because i have a mortgage and i'm single so the policy is actually for the benefit of the bank i have the mortgage with. The policy is also with this bank because it is the cheapest available to me.

It's a weird concept. I'm paying for an insurance policy to protect the interests of someone else who will end up paying themselves to cover my debts if i kick the bucket.

It would be like going into a restaurant and paying the chef to come and eat a meal in front of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Winterlong wrote: »
    And hookers?

already fitted with spare holes

Advertisement