Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back problems.

Options
  • 12-10-2016 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭

I have a bad back due to two accidents but recently I'm suspected of having a bulging disk. This is the worst pain I've experienced. I'm waiting for an MRI scan to see exactly what's wrong. The pain radiates all down my right leg and I literally can't walk on it. Does anyone have any advice on this? It is long term as I've had back problems for years and I've arthritis too but this is not arthritic pain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

I also have a bulging disc and experience the pain your describing. My gp prescribes me a muscle relaxented. This help to a degree. Had an MRI. I was advised that I could go for nerve blockers. I personally, am very slow to go down this route as it's not guaranteed to work, if it does, it can last from 3 weeks to 2 years. Everybody responds differently. Other option I was given was surgery to fuse the discs.
    I'm very slow to let anyone bear my back, as I feel, it could be a downward spiral and possibly a life of pain and discomfort if unsuccessful.
    On a day to day basis I manage by pain killers when needed. I've also been doing pilates to build up my core. I watch my posture etc.
    For now I'm managing ok but do go through spells of severe pain and end up missing work. These spells could last for a couple of days but have last for a month. I also was recommended that it's good for the spine to lie flat on your back as it takes pressure off and allows the muscles to relax.
    Wish you the best of luck on your treatment plan. It's an awful pain to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Coser_sas

I have a bad back due to two accidents but recently I'm suspected of having a bulging disk. This is the worst pain I've experienced. I'm waiting for an MRI scan to see exactly what's wrong. The pain radiates all down my right leg and I literally can't walk on it. Does anyone have any advice on this? It is long term as I've had back problems for years and I've arthritis too but this is not arthritic pain.

Hi I have two slipped discs in my back and i have the same problem pain going up and down the right leg and sometimes in my left leg too. I have a buldge in my back too. I saw my consultant there on Tuesday he basically said to me is to rest either lye on the bed or do small bit of walking. He also said no to do mopping, swipping of floors or bending your back! Also he advised me to stay away from physio and acupuncture!

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

I had a microsdiskectomy in 2009 and 2013 for a herniated disc at l4/5, I had it done for severe lower leg pain and numbness, what an amazing operation ! the relief I had was amazing and having had knee replacements, I can tell you that a microdiskectomy was 'easy', only had restrictions for a few weeks. Sadly the pain came back last year and the mri showed severe facet joint arthritis, along with narrowing and another herniation, so I opted for a fusion, again this surgery has been a complete success. Now I know that I may in the future suffer from adjacent disc problems, but believe it or not, I dont care ! I had virtually no life with the severe pain, my only advice is to fully check out the surgeon and personally I would only ever let a neurosurgeon at my back. Best of luck

Advertisement