Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using chip and signature (not chip and pin) credit card in Ireland

Options
  • 12-10-2016 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Irishman currently living in the US and traveling home for Christmas. Chip and Pin cards aren't available over here - they finally implemented Chip and Signature this year. Can Chip and Signature cards be used in Tesco and other shops back in Ireland? Last year people were (rightly) confused when I attempted to use a card without a chip. I fear using a card with a chip for which there is no pin. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I have an australian credit card that while it has a chip, it still asks for a signature. When i use it i just warn the staff that 'its my australian card and will probably ask for a signature'. I haven't had a problem yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

from here:

http://www.safecard.ie/cardholders/problems-using-non-chip-pin-cards/

While less frequent now, the SafeCard Team has been made aware in the past of some customers having problems using their non-Chip & PIN debit or credit card in stores around Ireland. This is due to shops incurring a policy to only accept cards with Chip & PIN. It should be noted that the shops in question are not acting in accordance with card acceptance rules and should be reported to their bank. This can be done through BPFI, where required.

It is true to say that some shops will put into place policies whereby they request photo ID when accepting non-Chip & PIN cards. They are entitled to do this and to put in whatever extra safeguards are required to help prevent fraud in their businesses. Shops or merchants that choose to deny use of non-Chip & PIN cards are simply turning away good business. Many countries do not yet have Chip & PIN cards including the U.S., Australia, China, etc so thousands of tourists coming to Ireland will not have Chip & PIN cards. When shops decide not to accept those customers’ cards they are tarnishing the reputation of the country as a whole as people who hear that they cannot use their credit card or debit card in Ireland may decide to travel elsewhere.

If your card is not accepted, ask in the first instance to speak to a manager. It could be a simple misunderstanding by a staff member. Ask the shop assistant or manager to swipe your card in the terminal. The terminal will be capable of accepting your card and the staff member will be prompted to ask you for a signature rather than a PIN.

It should be noted that there are very few cards remaining in Ireland that are not Chip & PIN enabled. These should be replaced in the near future. If you are experiencing issues such as this, contact your card issuer for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I used my German chip & signature card in Ireland no problems.
    Well, like above, shops find it a little strange but they still were grand about it.
    I do tend to take out a wedge of cash and use that for smaller transactions in shops and pubs etc, and then just the card for bigger things like petrol, hotels, car hire etc to avoid relying on the card too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I would say that the acceptance of non-pin transactions would also depend on if the retailer had been burned by previous customers.

It is not only foreign tourists but scammers who can easily produce working swipe cards from lists bought on the black market but chip+pin is more difficult and expensive.

Advertisement