Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peru or Cuba ?

Options
  • 11-10-2016 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I am looking at organising a trip to South America ....now I am spilt in visiting Cuba Or Peru, has anybody been two both countries ? Plus what country would be your favourite ?

I am leaning towards Cuba due to the culture etc there and it might be more fun...any feedback would be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Visit them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

I only have time to visit one of these counteries on this trip, that's why I am looking for feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I've never been to Cuba (its been on my list for ages) - but I loved my time in Peru. Peru has a lot of different scenes on offer -

Amazon jungle - we flew into Iquitos and spent 4 days with Explorama Lodges - highly recommend it.
    4 Day Inca trail from outside Cusco (cool town) to Machu Picchu - loved it!
    Flew over the Nazca lines
    Spent time in an oasis called Huacachina, sandboarding and Dunebuggying - lots of fun.
    Viisited Lake Lake Titicaca, came at it from the Bolivian side and spent a night on Isla Del Sol

Plus lots more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Keedowah wrote: »
    I've never been to Cuba (its been on my list for ages) - but I loved my time in Peru. Peru has a lot of different scenes on offer -

Amazon jungle - we flew into Iquitos and spent 4 days with Explorama Lodges - highly recommend it.
    4 Day Inca trail from outside Cusco (cool town) to Machu Picchu - loved it!
    Flew over the Nazca lines
    Spent time in an oasis called Huacachina, sandboarding and Dunebuggying - lots of fun.
    Viisited Lake Lake Titicaca, came at it from the Bolivian side and spent a night on Isla Del Sol

Plus lots more.

Hey, Roughly how much did that Cost out of intrest?

I have no idea to be honest with you, it was 8 or nine years ago and part of 3 months in South America and one year travelling.

You can cost up groups that do the Inca trail online easily enough (or just do a day trip to Machu Picchu, but honestly the trek is fantastic).

The Nazca Lines might have cost us $50 for the flight over the lines. In Huacachina, we stayed at a nice hostel and just got their group dunebuggy tour into the desert - it was cheap - maybe $10?

If you have the time, travelling by bus *can* be comfortable and cheap, we only had one flight and that was from Lima into Iquitos for our Amazon trip.

You can keep your costs down by staying in hostels and to be honest they are a lot more fun then being stuck in your room in a hotel - you'll meet more people for sure.

I'm jealous of your trip - be it Peru or Cuba.

• Advertisement

If it was me I would go for Cuba. See the tropics, the architecture the natives. The Gvt has more control over society but so what, this is an exotic land go with it and respect the laws. Peru is too close to Columbia for my liking and with Cuba your so close to the everglades in Florida and the other sunny destinations in the Caribbean.

Out of interest - what is wrong with being so close to Colombia? I've heard tons of good things about it - Cartagena in particular.

As for the tropics, architecture etc - you know Peru has all of that?

Out of interest - what is wrong with being so close to Colombia? I've heard tons of good things about it - Cartagena in particular.

Columbia is full of the drug cartels. A haven for organized crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Colombia is amazing. Great place to visit. Kingbrian is talking utter misinformed rubbish.

OP, it depends how much time you have. Peru is massive so there'll be a lot of travelling and more likely airport time etc, but it will be incredibly varied

In Cuba, you can rent a car and go off on an adventure, although most of what you see outside of Havana is going to be coastline, plantations and beaches.

Colombia is amazing. Great place to visit. Kingbrian is talking utter misinformed rubbish.

OP, it depends how much time you have. Peru is massive so there'll be a lot of travelling and more likely airport time etc, but it will be incredibly varied

In Cuba, you can rent a car and go off on an adventure, although most of what you see outside of Havana is going to be coastline, plantations and beaches.

I'm not talking misinformed nonsense. It is dangerous down there. Don't be advising people to go to a destination that may cost them their life. The guy asked for feedback not a brochure.

• Advertisement

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    I'm not talking misinformed nonsense. It is dangerous down there. Don't be advising people to go to a destination that may cost them their life. The guy asked for feedback not a brochure.

first off, Colombia is now a safe tourist destination, secondly, the guy was asking about Peru and you're the one who brought up Colombia as an excuse not to go to Peru, which is a proper *insert facepalm photo* comment.

No one is advising him to go to Colombia, although personally i would wholeheartedly recommend, if i was asked!!!

first off, Colombia is now a safe tourist destination, secondly, the guy was asking about Peru and you're the one who brought up Colombia as an excuse not to go to Peru, which is a proper *insert facepalm photo* comment.

No one is advising him to go to Colombia, although personally i would wholeheartedly recommend, if i was asked!!!

Peru is right next to Columbia and the peace deal between the FARC and the Columbian gvt has broken down. The reason I went with Cuba is unlike the continent you will have less of a danger. Crime rates on the continent are some of the highest in the world.

Columbia is full of the drug cartels. A haven for organized crime.

I thought your tongue was in your cheek with this comment....

As for the comment about FARC and Colombian peace deals falling down... that's not really true you know.

I thought your tongue was in your cheek with this comment....

As for the comment about FARC and Colombian peace deals falling down... that's not really true you know.

Lots of poverty and political instability in that country. Same with parts of Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

Personally I haven't been to south America at all yet but I meet a couple of people on my own travels who said Peru was one of there highlights of all the there travels. I don't think your gonna have issues in either country but personally Peru would appeal to me more and if your looking at going solo id guess the backpacker scene is better there.

Lots of poverty and political instability in that country. Same with parts of Mexico.

same with every single country in South America, most of Asia and Africa. If this is a criteria for choosing where to travel, then that limits your choices pretty massively!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I'd pick Peru. The disappearing Cuban culture might a good reason to get there soon but Peru looks more stunning scenery wise. I'm a big mountain fan and huscaran national park looks incredible. Haven't been to Peru but I've seen a decent amount of South America and didn't have any major trouble.

Wherever you go I wish you well and have a safe journey.:) Seeing such beautiful places is a dream come true. Unfortunately for me the temperature would kill me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thebsharp

Two great options to be fair so you can't go wrong with either. If you've two weeks or less I'd go Cuba as you can see plenty of it in that time and leave Peru for a longer trip if feasible. Cuba is worth a visit but make sure you're not just in an all inclusive for the two weeks. Preplanning activities and maybe a homestay will go a long way.

In terms of culture, there's alot more of it in Peru! The country is stepped in history and many parts of Peru is still deeply in touch with its cultural roots. The amazon, surf beaches, Andes, Inca trail, lake titicaca....so much to see and do!

Advertisement