Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi ranks beyond the City Centre

Options
  • 11-10-2016 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any? I work in Ardkeen area a few days a week and don't recall ever seeing taxis sitting at any point in the area. Am I wrong or are they all in the centre?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Theres one in the hospital i think and theres one outside the Uluru on weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So it's okay to go into the WRH for a taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I don't see a problem with that, I'm sure drivers would be happy with the fare

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

There's often a few over in the Lidl car park - albeit usually more so later in the evening to catch the crowds from the Uluru/Cove

I'm only interested in business hours.

Ardkeen Stores or the Williamstown Centre really should have space for 3/4 cars to be stationed.

• Advertisement

Yeah why wouldn't it be :confused:

Well it's not on the street is it? A State property.

Well it's not on the street is it? A State property.

So why couldn't you just walk in and get a taxi?

I'm not saying it's not possible just not fair game maybe - if I were hobbling out of the front door of the WRH and saw a "fit" fella like me get in the last taxi I'd be hopping mad (assuming I could hop)!

Anyway this is slightly off topic really - why are there no proper on-street ranks out that way that can and surely would be fully utilised? Any taxi drivers out there will an insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm not saying it's not possible just not fair game maybe - if I were hobbling out of the front door of the WRH and saw a "fit" fella like me get in the last taxi I'd be hopping mad (assuming I could hop)!

Anyway this is slightly off topic really - why are there no proper on-street ranks out that way that can and surely would be fully utilised? Any taxi drivers out there will an insight?

Because they wouldn't be utilised. People just call for a taxi if they need one generally. A taxi driver would be wasting their valuable time sitting waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Naas is looking at reducing rank spaces because so many trips are now called up on hailo and other apps leaving ranks half empty most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭dzilla

Airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

They only park in hospital because it increases chances of a fare. Anybody can use it the drivers aren't there for the good of there health so they pick up anyone that will pay

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

What is the point having a taxi ranks outside the city centre in the small town like Waterford?

Or let me ask different way:
    Why there's no second airport closer to the Waterford city centre? There's one in London, it works perfectly.
    :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

If you have a smart phone you can download the Hailo app. You can set your card up on it to so you don't need to have cash on you.

Just Hail a cab on the app by entering where you want to go, the taxi driver can see where you are on his app.You can see exactly where the taxi is and how long it will take to arrive.

You jump in , the cab will know where you are going, you arrive , he charges your card on the app and you jump out.

Done. There really is very little need for Taxi ranks in this day an age, apart from a few hot spots or certain nights of the week.

Advertisement