Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looping with with multiple effects

Options
  • 11-10-2016 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

This is probably a stupid question I completely new to this but how can you use different effects or different channels on your amp with a loop pedal? Say if I make a loop using the clean channel on my amp then I want to do an overdub with a bit of distortion using the distortion channel how would I go about that? I'm using an Boss rc50 at the moment and its plugged directly into my amp (vox vt50). When I have a loop recorded if I change the channel or turn on any kind of effect either from the amp or from an external pedal its automatically applied to the current loop. Is there anyway of connecting the looper to the amp that will prevent different effects and channel changes affecting the previously recorded loops, I'm guessing I have to split the signal in someway? Basically what I want to do is build up loops using a variety of sounds.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

If your amp has an effects loop, place the looper last in your effects chain in the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

JohnBee wrote: »
    If your amp has an effects loop, place the looper last in your effects chain in the loop.

As far as I can tell my amp has no effects loop everything has to be connected to the main input. I'm guessing I need an effects loop to create any kind of working chain with my pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

if the distortion is after the looper then all the distortion is in the amp. (so all the signal will be distorted.)

if there's no FX loop on the amp then it's back to a distortion pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

JohnBee wrote: »

As far as I can tell my amp has no effects loop everything has to be connected to the main input. I'm guessing I need an effects loop to create any kind of working chain with my pedals?
    Usually the effects loop will be on the back of the amp, you might see a send and return input. If not then you are correct, to loop with different tones, then you will need to use a distortion pedal in front of the looper.

In my experience however, when looping with distortion, everything gets very muddy very quickly and haven't found it very good.

Advertisement