Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Leap Card V Standard Leap Card

Options
  • 11-10-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can advise on the advantage of having a student Leap card over a standard one.

From what I can see, fares on Dublin bus seem to be the exact same and I can use my student ID to avail of the same discounts with Iarnroid Eireann.

I will only be using public transport 2 days a week so I can't see the point of forking out €10 for the student one :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Depending on how much you'll use it those 2 days, there's lower fare capping.

Also if you're much of a consumer, there's a list of shops and what discounts they give with it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Prob 4 journeys over the 2 days on Dublin Bus/Luas. Maybe less, as I'll use Dublin Bikes if it's not pissing down. So prob not worth forking out the tenner for the student card!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Lower caps, special offers and ability to load student tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Personally I think its a joke that is €15 for a card you need to get annually. I dont know of another City that charges students to get a travel card and then pretty much charge them full fare with it(in Munich the student travel card is free and the fares are a fraction of Dublin).

The 30 day prepaid ticket is the only good thing about the student travel card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's a national ID card. With Leap features. Which unlike other commuter type smart cards, Leap is not limited to one city.

• Advertisement

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Personally I think its a joke that is €15 for a card you need to get annually. I dont know of another City that charges students to get a travel card and then pretty much charge them full fare with it(in Munich the student travel card is free and the fares are a fraction of Dublin).

The 30 day prepaid ticket is the only good thing about the student travel card.

I called into a well known shop chain yesterday and they were charging €15 for the standard Leap card (albeit with €5 credit free!) so it looks like it's rip offs all around

Tim76 wrote: »
    I called into a well known shop chain yesterday and they were charging €15 for the standard Leap card (albeit with €5 credit free!) so it looks like it's rip offs all around

You might want to call that out explicitly. When buying a leap card, you pay for a deposit and credit. You aren't paying any fee towards the shop, nor Leap for the card itself.

You might want to call that out explicitly. When buying a leap card, you pay for a deposit and credit. You aren't paying any fee towards the shop, nor Leap for the card itself.

The Leap website states that it's €5 deposit and with a min €5 spend on credit for the standard card so I don't know where the rest of the money is going...

That's right. But if it cost you 15, you should have 5 deposit + 10 credit. If you didn't get that you were ripped off.

Advertisement