Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Too many devices?

Options
  • 11-10-2016 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm having trouble with my laptop where it connects to the UPC WiFi but then says that there is no internet access. It would then randomly connect to the internet for a minute or two and then go back to saying there is no internet access. The WiFi works perfectly on my phone and ps4 without any issues.

Everything was working fine for the last two weeks but then my housemate came back from holidays and now it's not working. This is why I believe the problem is down to too many devices being connected to the WiFi.

Is there an easy solution to this problem?

Should this problem even occur?

Why would it only occur on my laptop and no other devices?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

UPCs routers are junk. Their current ad should be taken offair for falsifications - there is no way that entire party could be online at once.

Get a high quality third party Wifi router and disable the Wifi in the UPC one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

It's unlikely a 'normal' household would overload wifi. Most likely this is a problem specific to your setup.

Some things to try:
    Reboot the router.
    Change the wifi channel.
    Check you have the latest WLAN drivers.
    Disconnect and remove the wifi connection and then re-establish.
    Check with a wired connect to see if your laptop's internet connection is stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

There's no way that three or four devices is too many for any router. Try powering off the router, and all of the devices. Then switch the router back on, followed by each of the devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RedRebel92

Thanks for your replies.

I was home from work today before all my other housemates and my laptop connected to the internet perfectly. Then once they were all home it disconnected again.

The internet works fine when I use an ethernet cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Are you on the Black modem or the white one. I'm guessing the black one.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Are you on the Black modem or the white one. I'm guessing the black one.

Yes the black horizon modem

Install a wifi analyser app on your phone and monitor signal levels when you are connected and then again when your housemates are using the internet. A LOT of things can interfere with wifi signals including dect phones, microwave ovens and of course neighbours wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Have you manually set an IP address on your network connection?
    If both you are your room mate are trying to use the same IP, one of you will get kicked off.

degsie wrote: »
    Install a wifi analyser app on your phone and monitor signal levels when you are connected and then again when your housemates are using the internet. A LOT of things can interfere with wifi signals including dect phones, microwave ovens and of course neighbours wifi.

I got a wifi analyser app and it shows that the signal is at -60dBm.
    mcgovern wrote: »
    Have you manually set an IP address on your network connection?
    If both you are your room mate are trying to use the same IP, one of you will get kicked off.

How would I go about doing this?

RedRebel92 wrote: »
    Always?

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    RedRebel92 wrote: »
    Always?

Ya, just did it there while my laptop isn't working and it's at - 60dBm

Advertisement