Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

How dangerous is the RDF/PDF

  • 10-10-2016 8:30pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 5


    I'd really like to join the PDF, but I don't really like taking huge leaps without knowing where I'm landing (if you get me). Basically, I'd like to know what my chances of not getting shot are. I'd also like to know how much training prepares you for the real deal and how dangerous going abroad is. I know that this is a sensitive topic for some people and I apologise in advance for making your sad or angry


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 39,994 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail


    Unless you know all the words to Hava Nagilah then forget about the IDF. they wont be interested. Seriously though there is a forum for PDF recruitment here -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1758


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100


    Tenso wrote:
    I'd really like to join the IDF, but I don't really like taking huge leaps without knowing where I'm landing (if you get me). Basically, I'd like to know what my chances of not getting shot are. I'd also like to know how much training prepares you for the real deal and how dangerous going abroad is. I know that this is a sensitive topic for some people and I apologise in advance for making your sad or angry


    If you are interested in joining the PDF or Irish Army surely you have read the recent report on same. Basically the majority of enlisted service people are unhappy with the wages and their overall treatment. It is a poorly paid job circa 300 euro a week for a private, long term prospects also poor. Overseas service is not as easy to get as it once was. Basically if you want to wear a uniform join the Guards or the emergency services.


  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel


    Tenso wrote: »
    I'd really like to join the PDF, but I don't really like taking huge leaps without knowing where I'm landing (if you get me). Basically, I'd like to know what my chances of not getting shot are. I'd also like to know how much training prepares you for the real deal and how dangerous going abroad is. I know that this is a sensitive topic for some people and I apologise in advance for making your sad or angry

    Do you mean the Army or Navy?. Both completely different with different risks and hazards.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tenso


    Do you mean the Army or Navy?. Both completely different with different risks and hazards.
    I meant the army, sorry about that.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan


    Chances of "not being shot at" are pretty good. Outside of exercises there are not many taking shots at you.
    As for overseas, who knows? Depends on the mission and the threat level.

    If you are worried about being shot at maybe a diff career is in order


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tenso


    Owryan wrote: »
    Chances of "not being shot at" are pretty good. Outside of exercises there are not many taking shots at you.
    As for overseas, who knows? Depends on the mission and the threat level.

    If you are worried about being shot at maybe a diff career is in order
    The thing is, I am not afraid of getting shot AT, I just imagine that being close to death a lot of the time cannot be good for mental health. What I was hoping to achieve from asking this is get people that fought overseas to answer, so I can base if I am ready for that level of tension.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100


    Tenso wrote:
    The thing is, I am not afraid of getting shot AT, I just imagine that being close to death a lot of the time cannot be good for mental health. What I was hoping to achieve from asking this is get people that fought overseas to answer, so I can base if I am ready for that level of tension.


    I get the feeling you're pulling the p*ss. Have fun whatever your reasons for this thread are.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tenso


    nhunter100 wrote: »
    I get the feeling you're pulling the p*ss. Have fun whatever your reasons for this thread are.
    Sure, feel free to think that. Truth is, I cannot imagine what it must be like to be in a firefight. All I wanted to know was what I should be expecting versus my expectations.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley


    It is a fact that soldiers get shot at by other soldiers, or people who think that they are soldiers, as part of the job description. Sometimes, when things go severely wrong, by former friends and relations who prefer bullets to ballot boxes. I'm sure I don't need to remind you of two recent periods of Irish history that would have been nice not to have had at all.

    Soldiers also get bombed, often by their so-called friends, subjected to the inconvenience of being on the receiving end of some HUGE great bullets, and rockets, mortars, fighter-ground attack aircraft, cluster bombs, hyperbaric devices, plain ol' machine guns and stuff like that.

    They are also expected to be able to climb up steep inclines, either on ropes, or not, while all these things are being done to them by people who are deadly serious about it. Or down steep inclines....

    Any time of day or night, in the rain, or snow, or whatever.

    They are also expected to do this while their buddies around them are being noisily converted to bleeding piles of smoking meat, and not to stop going forwards until the objective has been reached, or not, as the case may be.

    I respectfully suggest that you revisit the first twenty minutes of the movie 'Saving Private Ryan', which is about as near as any sane person would expect to get to what awaits a beach landing party.

    If a uniform is all you are interested in, then wearing one that doesn't cause too much offence to others might be a plan - parking attendant at Dublin Zoo sounds about right.

    Get real, FCS.

    tac


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tenso


    tac foley wrote: »
    It is a fact that soldiers get shot at by other soldiers, or people who think that they are soldiers, as part of the job description. Sometimes, when things go severely wrong, by former friends and relations who prefer bullets to ballot boxes. I'm sure I don't need to remind you of two recent periods of Irish history that would have been nice not to have had at all.

    Soldiers also get bombed, often by their so-called friends, subjected to the inconvenience of being on the receiving end of some HUGE great bullets, and rockets, mortars, fighter-ground attack aircraft, cluster bombs, hyperbaric devices, plain ol' machine guns and stuff like that.

    They are also expected to be able to climb up steep inclines, either on ropes, or not, while all these things are being done to them by people who are deadly serious about it. Or down steep inclines....

    Any time of day or night, in the rain, or snow, or whatever.

    They are also expected to do this while their buddies around them are being noisily converted to bleeding piles of smoking meat, and not to stop going forwards until the objective has been reached, or not, as the case may be.

    I respectfully suggest that you revisit the first twenty minutes of the movie 'Saving Private Ryan', which is about as near as any sane person would expect to get to what awaits a beach landing party.

    If a uniform is all you are interested in, then wearing one that doesn't cause too much offence to others might be a plan - parking attendant at Dublin Zoo sounds about right.

    Get real, FCS.

    tac
    Firstly, I would like to thank you for giving me an insight on the reality of war.
    Secondly, I would like to apologise for appearing like just having an interest in wearing a uniform/being a disrespectful a**hole. I can see why you'd get that impression of me (being doubtful about joining and asking such a foolish question). I don't do it for the uniform, there is no merit in doing it just for the uniform for me. I don't want to do it to get praised or any crap like that. I dont think being a gardaí or something similar is enough to serve the country, and I want to serve Ireland properly, but I'm scared. I realise I sound like I'm trying to talk my way out, but I'll let you decide on whether you believe me or not.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement