Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moldova

Options
  • 17-10-2016 11:29am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just back from Moldova. We spent 2 nights in Chisinau for the Ireland match, a night in Transnistria and then another night back in Chisinau.

The whole place is a bit of a kip. It's the poorest country in Europe and it shows. Lots of grim Soviet style apartment blocks, potholed roads, pavements cracked up with no drainage. There's also not a wile pile to do, we dandered about the town and soon got very bored. That Air Moldova flight gets in at 4am as well so it's not ideal for checking into hotels etc.

Drink ranges from €1-2 a pint. Meals cost around €5-8 in a restaurant. Local brandy, which is very nice costs even less. The wine is decent too and pretty cheap.

Getting to Transnistria is grand, you just go to the bus station and ask for the Tiraspol bus. It'll cost €1.50 and when they get to the border the driver will tell you to go into the customs office. It's strange as the rest of the bus have to wait the few minutes while you get your 24 hour visa (free). The roads and footpaths in Transnistria are a lot better as they have money from Russia but there's also very little to do. We saw the parliament, Lenin statues and an old tank/war memorial. There's only about 4 or 5 bars and barely any life about the place although it was a Monday. Even on the streets though we didn't see a lot of young people. I think most of them leave. We went to Bendery on the way and shouldn't have bothered as it's even more grim there.

Honest opinion, it was interesting to see a proper, former Soviet state, very cheap but we all agreed we'd be very reluctant to come back and would try our best to spend very little time there if we had to. If you do book let me know and I'll let you know which bars and restaurants we went to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Yes, Goat, do please tell us about the hotels, restaurants and bars.
    Are the hotels very basic? Would it be wise to bring soap, toilet roll etc.?
    I believe the wine ( and brandy? ) is the only thing worth buying. Were you able to buy wine in the duty-free coming home?
    Are protective wine boxes supplied with the wine?

P.S. No need for the thread I opened to stay open now. Can you as a mod close it or merge it with this? Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

We stayed in an apartotel sort of place. Rooms were very clean and modern. I heard reports of all standards of accommodation across the city though. This was our place. http://4rent.md/ Didn't hear any need to bring soap or toilet roll though. We stayed here one night as well. It was nice too, but a bit further out of town. http://www.shadow.md/

Bar wise we liked Draft. It's a chain of bars that is pretty cool inside, has cheap pints, good music and nice bar snacks too. Andy's Pizza is also grand for a bit of food and a drink but you'd not stay there all night. For craft beer we had a great time at Smokehouse but it's about twice the price for a drink. The local beer is Chisinau Blonde and it's passable but not great. The wine is decent, there's a good few brands there and its cheap enough to just buy a glass to try. The brandy is decent too, sweeter than the likes of Hennessy but doesn't have the alcohol burn I was expecting. It was quite smooth. If you want a nightclub Sky Bar is bang on.

For traditional restaurants there is Vatra Neamului and La Taifas (both right beside each other). Bit pricier than average but very tasty.

Plenty of wine, brandy and vodka for sale in the duty free. I didn't notice wine boxes though. Cheapest wine was €2.50 and there were plenty of people buying €3 bottles of vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I presume you experienced only the capital and Transnistria. Did you get any accounts of more remote areas?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

feargale wrote: »
    I presume you experienced only the capital and Transnistria. Did you get any accounts of more remote areas?

Didn't get to any remote parts no but I'd not hold out a lot of hope for them. Even when you stray outside of the main streets in the cities it gets a bit more rough and ready i.e. dirt tracks instead of roads.

I would say if you could find a nice hotel and a maybe a tour company that focuses on the wine regions you could have a decent trip in the countryside. Something like this maybe. http://www.regent-holidays.co.uk/tour/wine-tour-of-moldova/

Advertisement