Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Laptop Offer any Value?

Options
  • 10-10-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

Just got a laptop offer at work and wondering if it is good value? I'm in a the market for a machine, used mainly for streaming, word processing and light gaming (nothing graphics heavy in other words). I'm sure the machine will fit our needs but wanted to see if it is good value? Here are the specifications;

Intel Pentium N3700 Processor
    4 GB RAM Massive
    500GB HDD
    DVD- RW Drive Ethernet
    15.6" HD Screen
    WiFi & Bluetooth
    1 Year Warranty
    Integrated Webcam
    AshGrey/Black in colour
    Windows 10 64 bit Operating System
    3 x USB Ports & HDMI Port
    Weighing only 2.1kg Battery life up to 6 hrs
    FREE HP PRINTER/COPIER/SCANNER & LAPTOP BAG

Thanks agains

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Just got a laptop offer at work and wondering if it is good value? I'm in a the market for a machine, used mainly for streaming, word processing and light gaming (nothing graphics heavy in other words). I'm sure the machine will fit our needs but wanted to see if it is good value? Here are the specifications;

Unless you say what the offer price is no one can answer your question.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP it's a very low end laptop. Spec doesn't get much lower for laptops. Everything about it is basic. Unless it was extremely cheap I would think you'd be better served by something even a small bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Unless you say what the offer price is no one can answer your question.

Sorry! Offering price is €399, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Sorry! Offering price is €399, thanks

You'll get higher spec for a similar price elsewhere. Amazon.co.uk one example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

At 399 EUR including a printer and bag, you're not going to get much better. Exclude the bag and printer and you're probably spending ~ 350 or less on the laptop itself. At 399 EUR just for the laptop, it wouldn't be great value. You could pick up a better Intel i3 or even a low end i5 for ~400.

e.g. Dell have an Inspiron 15 3000 for 396 EUR delivered at the moment link (make sure you use coupon code FLASH to get the additional 12% off).

Check out laptopsdirect.co.uk (especially with the GBP/EUR rate at the moment) and Amazon UK also as others have suggested.

Edit: you could buy an SSD drive in future for 50-60 EUR to make the laptop much snappier. very easy to change out yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

Thanks for the great advice, think I'll take a pass on the company offer and look into the Dell and other options. We have a printer and slip case already so if I can get a better value computer I will. Cheers!

Advertisement