Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Find Accommodation!

Options
  • 10-10-2016 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure where to post this...

I am 22 on BTEA. I started a Level 5 course in Galway (GTI) in September.

I have been looking for somewhere to live since July! But I still can't find anywhere...

I am 'living' in a B&B. And at this stage, I have had enough of it. :(

I have tried the websites online, the papers, accommodation lists in the college, word of mouth, TD's, I've gone around to all the letting agencies in Galway... It seems impossible at this stage... It doesn't matter that I've previous landlord references, lived abroad, don't smoke, etc. Once they hear I'm a college student(and 22) they don't want to know. And I've had some pretty bad stuff said to me by some landlords. But most just don't respond to the calls/texts/emails.. I have lived on Daft.ie since July!

I'm finally studying what I've always wanted to, but I didn't expect homelessness to be what would get in my way now.

I have a history of depression/anxiety so the last while has been really stressful and not helping. And it's starting to take a toll physically as well. I'm starving having no kitchen facilities.. I've been cooking for myself since I was 14(by choice...), that having to live on fast food everyday is destroying me (and my stomach).

As much as it sucks living in a b&b, I can't imagine how hard it must be for all those families with kids in b&b's...

Does anyone have any ideas about finding accommodation in Galway?
    Where would I stand with social welfare if I was to leave my course?
    Or if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what to do at this stage :confused:

Thanks in advance... :o

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

What in particular is the obstacle? Is the cost of some places ruling them out? Are you not willing to houseshare with other people? There's a section of daft dedicated to student housing under the sharing section. Have you been using that or just regular lets?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Lena137

The obstacle is that I am a student and landlords don't seem to want to deal with students.
    The problem is that I have been trying since July. I've been ringing, emailing and texting places on daft. Yes, of course I have been checking the letting and the sharing section. It's Galway, of course I would have to house share... But most won't acknowledge me since I am a student and not a 'professional'.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Your students union have accommodation support services, have you checked them out?
    Maybe worth a look at NUIG's accommodation support as they usually collaborate together on this issue.
    Also your students union have health support services that can help with your anxiety, worth a check in too. Best of luck and whatever you do don't quit now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Lena137 wrote: »
    The obstacle is that I am a student and landlords don't seem to want to deal with students.
    The problem is that I have been trying since July. I've been ringing, emailing and texting places on daft. Yes, of course I have been checking the letting and the sharing section. It's Galway, of course I would have to house share... But most won't acknowledge me since I am a student and not a 'professional'.

I'm specifically referring to those flats/houses within the student sharing section which landlords or other student tenants have listed on daft specifically in this section in order to get student tenants.

http://www.daft.ie/student-accommodation/national-university-of-ireland-galway/rooms-to-share/?s%5Barea_type%5D=near

Here's the 66 places on daft under that section near to NUIG (GTI isn't listed).

Thanks hytrogen, I didn't realise the student union would be able to help. Will have to check once it is set up! Or that they would have heath support services, since it's not a college...
    I suppose it's nearly midterm break, I'll try sticking with it. Appreciate it!

• Advertisement

Thanks Michael D Not Higgins! Yeah I've tried there too. They seem to be the same ones that are in the shared section...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rooms.Housing.Accommodation.NUIGalway/

Try FB, can be more popular with this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The Galway House Hunting Page always has rooms available.

Since July or so it's been really hard for people to find rooms for the academic year in Galway, you're not alone in being stuck for a room.

Thanks ED E! I haven't joined that group yet!

Thanks Digital Solitude! Yeah, I'm constantly checking that Facebook page and messaging people on it. But they never respond to them...
    Yeah, I know there is a few in my class still who can't find anywhere. They are in hostels, couches, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I had an ad up a few weeks ago, expensive room in an iffy location, wanted girls preferably. Got over 60 replies, you couldn't possibly reply to everyone.

Advertisement