Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

You seem to have jumped from someone saying Seamus could play LIV to claiming we're saying Seamus is a huge name. You don't need to be a big name to get onto the LIV tour currently. We're not saying Seamus is going to get a 40 million contract or anything! Any player in the world's top 50 that wants to play LIV, could play LIV. What pull do Hennie Du Pleiss and Laurie Canter have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

Fair enough. There was one post talking about the legions of fans he'd bring with him, but that's actually just one post.

They'd certainly take him if he was willing to go. And when they're bumping people off to make room for the higher profile guys there will be others they'll bump pff before him.

MOD EDIT:READ THE CHARTER RE POLITICS ETC

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don't think anyone claimed Seamus was a top priority or anything but one poster was suggesting that LIV wouldn't go near Seamus and he claimed it as a fact. That's ridiculous as LIV would bite their hand off if a current world top 50 golfer was interested regardless of the profile...sure bloody Greg Norman spends the build up to each event tweeting how many of world top 100 players he has compared to other tours!

Ah, missed that comment about him bringing lots fans.

The more LIV can say "we have X number of players inside the Top 50/20/10", the more they start to legitimise themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

They'd happily take him, but they wouldn't be making any outlandish offer for him at this stage. The smaller draws have probably missed their windows for significant signing on bonuses. If rory or jt or the like defected now they'd still get it. But someone like seamus would have to make do with the winnings.

And every time we talk about the winnings we talk about how much they'd get for finishing last every week. Not everyone can come last! Even pat perez isn't finishing last every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’m pally with a couple of his best pals from Dungarvan and Waterford. I’ve mentioned it in the past on this thread. I was at a wedding with some of them the week after the British Open and the LIV topic came up in conversation. Not one of them would think of him any differently if he did defect to LIV but it’s a total non runner.

The last three lines of your post. You’re only kidding yourself with that comment. One of the most idiotic things I’ve ever read. I’m not calling you an idiot, I just think what you’ve written is totally idiotic.

What on earth is more important than the financial security of your family?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭abff

Just wondering what Seamus might need to do over the next 5 months to retain his place in the top 50 in the OWGR. The recent changes in how the OWGR system works have made it pretty much incomprehensible (which I guess may well be their objective), but Seamus has fallen to 42nd in the latest rankings and may not be high profile enough to get invited to those "wheelbarrow" events where there are easy pickings in both monetary and world ranking point terms.

On the plus side, defections to the LIV tour may help his cause, unless LIV win their court case. Having said that, I guess the key thing is for Seamus to regain his mojo and start performing again at the level we have seen over the second half of last year and the first half of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Is he coming back to Europe now to try get Ryder Cup eligible?

He doesnt hold a European card currently?

The WGC events basically dont exist anymore.?

I think once he has his European Tour card, he only needs to play in certain events. I’m pretty sure if he doesn’t qualify automatically he’ll be a captains pick anyway, I don’t think there’s any way he could be left out.

I reckon he’ll play in Wentworth, probably Abu Dhabi and Dubai as well. Not sure what the qualification criteria is but he’ll have it all worked out no doubt. I can’t see him come back for too many events, only the ones he really needs to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

He signed up for affiliate membership earlier in the year and is currently 34th in the Race to Dubai rankings. That will give him full membership next season.

I am not 100% but I am fairly sure that affiliate members can earn ryder cup points and play in the end of season event in Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Justin Rose was left out of the last team alongside other major winners.

He's going to have to qualify to get in, I see little to no chance for a Captain's pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

With 6 Captain's picks, anybody in form next August/September has a decent chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Ah right, hadn't seen that the selection process was changed to 6, even so I would say Power is a longshot for a wildcard.

I reckon the whole landscape will have changed by this time next year. I think more and more players will end up going to LIV and eventually it will be younger players which will rule them out of the Ryder Cup. The Ryder Cup is a bit Micky mouse nowadays anyway so I think money will surpass any sort of pride some players have in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Guessing from Jon Rahm comments this week - 4 Majors + all WGC/Co-sanctioned events + 4 more DP tournaments to keep DP tour card???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yep, it's crazy the way the PGA has worked in the co-sanctioned events to keep their "stars" on the PGA tour schedule and guaranteed they'll all play the desert swings during PGA off seasons to keep the cards....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

As it stands - power is in all of the majors + WGC events.

Hell play the Irish open, I would imagine he’ll play Abu Dhabi and Dubai and then he needs to play one more which you’d expect would be the Scottish open next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Any reason why Seamus is not in Wentworth this week? Are affiliate members not eligible or is it injury/scheduling? He is ranked 36th on the Race to Dubai list so a good few will pass him by this week.

• Advertisement

He doesn't appear to be golfing regularly at all these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't think he's interested in his Race to Dubai ranking. He would rather play regular tour events in the US during the final R2D events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The Ryder cup should be the US players who play vast majority of their golf on PGA Tour vs the European Players who play the vast majority of their golf on the DP World Tour.

He's interested in the Ryder Cup though and he hasn't been playing a whole lot on THE PGA Tour recently either. I'm fairly sure he shared something on his Instagram story a couple of weeks ago about him playing at Wentworth so perhaps he is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭abff

Which would bring us back to the bad old days of US dominance before the continental European players were added to the mix.

This makes virtually no sense; you'd be removing all of Europe's biggest and best players (McIlroy, Rahm, Lowry, Hovland, Fitzpatrick), handing it on a plate to the US indefinitely and making it a poorer spectacle for fans.

In principal this makes sense as this was the case a decade or so ago, team Europe actually excluded some PGA based pros from selection.

However in 2022+ all the best Europeans now play on the dominant PGA Tour and hold their DP status through bending of rules like counting the Majors and WGCs as DP events, if we were to exclude WGCs held on US soils and the three US based Majors I highly doubt any of the PGA based DP players would qualify to play for Europe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭boardise

Seamus finishes a respectable 30th in the Sanderson Farms. One headscratcher though is his playing of the par 5s -he had five bogey 6s which must be close to being some kind of record and is 2 over for the 16 par 5s. Crazy stat.

I had a look at Grillo and Straka who were leading a short time ago -Grillo is 10 under on the par 5s with no bogey and Straka is 9 under (with 2 more par 5s to play) and no bogey. Power's tournament died on those par fives whatever the reason(s).

Putting patterns unusual as well -missed a whole heap of putts under 10 ft and holed a load of 25 to 45 footers .

Post edited by boardise on

His approach to the green stats were pretty poor as well.

• Advertisement

Not a bad showing after probably his longest break in about 2 years. Par 5 scoring was desperate though, you can’t compete let alone win if you’re not taking apart the par 5s in these kind of tournaments.

Advertisement