Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Warming up nicely again is Seamus, really could be his week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Seamus maybe should have let him putt that one out but overall I'd be a fan of giving the nod myself. But think that was possible the right time to make him finish that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Power looks a bit like DJ. Same frame and he even has a bit of the strut.

I’m sure Peter Aliis would appreciate this observation

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Scrabbel

His second shots have just been a bit off in this 9 unfortunately. No matter what happens though, he’s had a great week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,071 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Only a coach can save him now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,996 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The end is nigh, but what a great weekend. I'd say he surpassed himself, taking out some big names too and most importantly securing his place at Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Great weekend for him all eveb if the last round was a touch disappointing he didn't do much wrong, he makes them short ones at the start and it's a different game.

But beating the lads much higher in the rankings then in and so well should give him loads more confidence going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Well beaten in the quarter finals by the better player but a positive week in which he excelled against two solid players in Cantlay and I’m, and dispatched Hatton with ease, good on him and well deserving of his Masters spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

And now up to 14 projected in the FedEx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Brilliant week for him, his confidence will be sky high now heading into the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Will end up 16th or 17th in the fed ex rankings after the weekend depending on how the results pan out. He is well positioned to shoot for his goal of making the tour championship at this stage, but still a lot of golf to be played.

His world ranking will also jump to 41. Not sure what the cut off date for the Open is but he has given himself some breathing space.

One other bonus for this week is he has got his DP World tour ranking up and running. With an eye on qualifying for the next ryder cup team I'm sure it eould be no harm for him to qualify to play at the Race to Dubai final. The cheque from this week alone probably puts him more than half way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,269 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

His world ranking will also jump to 41. Not sure what the cut off date for the Open is but he has given himself some breathing space.

PGA website says OWGR top 50 on May 23rd.

https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/major-qualifiers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think Seamus lost to the eventual champ judging by todays play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭abff

Not just the eventual champ, but also the new world number one golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

If that doesn’t give him even more confidence then nothing will. He couldn’t be going to Augusta in a better place. I would think the last 3 months is as significant as his win last July.

The Barbasol was obviously the breakout moment but he’s shown that it wasn’t a fluke or a one off, he’s constantly improved since and has turned a corner in his career. His career trajectory is similar to Jimmy Walker. He hit a purple patch in his mid to late 30s after not really doing anything for years beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The matchplay came at a perfect time after his recent slight dip in form, delighted to see him do so well. Great for his confidence.

He's just shown up in the list of players in the Masters app.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭john9876

For those who know these things, would you say that Augusta suits or doesn't suit his game?

His driving accuracy has improved an awful lot in the last 6 months which will help him next week. His approach play is up there with the best on tour I think, he hits a tonne of greens in regulation. in general his short game is pretty sharp but unfortunately what could find him out is his putting.

The greens at Augusta are nasty and the big thing for Seamus next week is avoid three putts. Zalatoris is probably the worst putter I’ve seen on the PGA tour since Davis Love III and he finished runner up last year, if he could putt he’d have won pulling up. I think last year was an anomaly with Zalatoris though because every other year for as long as I can remember putting is key. Garcia somehow managed to become a good putter for 4 days when he won in 2017.

I think we’d all be thrilled to see Seamus playing four days, next week is well and truly bonus territory for him I think. That being said, he has zero pressure on him next week he can just go and enjoy himself and see what happens. Make the cut would be huge, a top 20 would be unbelievable and last week will have given him huge confidence.

• Advertisement

Think the putting thing is overplayed every year. It's the guy who puts the ball in the right spot below the hole more often than not that wins. The best putter in the world will miss more than his share from 5 feet above the hole with hose slopes.

The list of what you could never call great putters to have a green jacker is extensive. Vijay, Cabrera, Scott, Bubba and Sergio from my time watching, with at least three of those you could argue putting was the weakest part of their game.

It's the ultimate test of second shot iron accuracy in the game. I don't know Seamus' game that well, but I think that's a relative strength of his?

The top 12 including ties automatically get invited again next year, that would be a great target and result (obviously just making the cut would be good).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rookies don't tend go to too well at Augusta, course knowledge seems important so that could go against him, has he played it recently or ever?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

I'd like nothing more than for Seamus to do well and I'll be rooting for him. Unfortunately though, I think he's going to find himself completely out of his depth.

He may miss the cut but to say completely out of his depth is completely unfair imo.

He's the 41st ranked golfer in the world, this is his depth, he didn't fluke his way there!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

I never said he fluked his way there.

Many players have risen to the level that Seamus is now at. Very few move on from it.

I just feel that the occasion will be too much for him, lack of course experience will be telling, and there are far too many players in the field with a whole lot more experience than him. That's not knocking him in any way, but it means he's out of his depth at Augusta.

That's my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

Being a debutant wouldn’t worry me that much about him to be honest. He’s shown it hasn’t hindered him in the matchplay. Obviously Augusta is a different beast but he’s been there a few times, not sure if he’s ever played it, but he’ll have plenty of homework done.

He’s a cool character as well I don’t see him being that phased by the occasion and why I say that is because the Masters wasn’t his number one goal, he came out and said he’s going to treat it as any other tournament. It’s his first ever appearance in a major so as he says himself he doesn’t know how to prepare any different. It’s a great attitude to have and hopefully it serves him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

as well as being 41 OWGR ranked, he is also ranked:

Greens in regulation: 6th

Birdie Average: 15th

Not bad stats for a player completely out of his depth.

GIR & putting are crucial around Augusta. I do accept, that players often come on in later attempts for the debut experience and a debut can be a real learning experience. But, I wouldn't write him off making the cut, especially if he can get off to a steady start.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

I think trying to make the cut in his first Masters has to be his target starting out. It will be great to have four Irish in the field, its hard to beat the Masters for 4 days of great golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Totally bizarre comment. You sound like one of those people who watch golf once a year for the masters and are an expert for that week. Not saying that you are, but got those vibes from your comment. It was the way you said 'completely' that makes me think you really enjoyed predicting a bad week for him and are probably hoping to be proven correct.

Pretty much any player who tees it up on Thursday is capable of missing the cut. So I'm wondering what are the signs of those who are completely out of their depth versus someone who just misses the cut after a bad couple of days?

Advertisement