Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert Irish

Options
  • 09-10-2016 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I am in 5th year right now and am a little worried. I was born and raised here although my parents are both Ukrainian and have technically been learning Irish my whole life, but saying that my primary school didn't take it seriously and neither did my first secondary school. I somehow got a C in HL Junior cert, thankfully my school has an oral with it. I then moved school as I moved house and did TY.... very bad mistake on my part.. now I am struggling to do anything in Irish. I was in higher level at the start of the year and then dropped then came back up, and now my teacher sais, that I'm permanantly in higher level. I don't know if I'm capable of it as I am completely lost but I would like the points that go with it. Is there anyway / programme I can do to get my Irish to LC A standard in the next 2 years? Like learning an hour a day or something? I have an Irish tutor once a week as well bit I doubt that helps. If it matters I do English,Maths, Spanish, Accounting, Business, Biology all higher and I am doing Russian as an aditional langauge (easy A for me) so I technically can afford to loose 2 subjects... And for my course I think I need a h5 in Irish or equivalent.

Sorry for the long hefty paragraph

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your facility in other languages will make Irish grammar seem very straightforward. Get your grammar straight and your oral as good as you can and a high grade is certainly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 helpisathand

spurious wrote: »
    Your facility in other languages will make Irish grammar seem very straightforward. Get your grammar straight and your oral as good as you can and a high grade is certainly possible.

Any study tips or time I should spend studying Irish a week?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not really. People are different.

Let your teacher know you are very keen to do well in Irish. This will bring joy to his/her heart as Irish teachers do not often hear things like that. Keep up with homework etc.. Watch some TG4, with the subtitles on.

Do occasional questions from old papers and ask the teacher to correct them.
    Find out what you missed when you were moved back to OL and catch up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

So I am in 5th year right now and am a little worried. I was born and raised here although my parents are both Ukrainian and have technically been learning Irish my whole life, but saying that my primary school didn't take it seriously and neither did my first secondary school. I somehow got a C in HL Junior cert, thankfully my school has an oral with it. I then moved school as I moved house and did TY.... very bad mistake on my part.. now I am struggling to do anything in Irish. I was in higher level at the start of the year and then dropped then came back up, and now my teacher sais, that I'm permanantly in higher level. I don't know if I'm capable of it as I am completely lost but I would like the points that go with it. Is there anyway / programme I can do to get my Irish to LC A standard in the next 2 years? Like learning an hour a day or something? I have an Irish tutor once a week as well bit I doubt that helps. If it matters I do English,Maths, Spanish, Accounting, Business, Biology all higher and I am doing Russian as an aditional langauge (easy A for me) so I technically can afford to loose 2 subjects... And for my course I think I need a h5 in Irish or equivalent.

Sorry for the long hefty paragraph

Why do you doubt the tutor helps? Tutors can be a great asset. Sounds like you need someone to teach you the mechanics of the language. Tell your tutor you'd like to learn how to make your own sentences, rather than learn off sample answers. The word order is a bit different - like in Irish the order would be 'I have to my homework to do'. One you have your head around that and the case system (easier than the Russian case system) you'll be well on your way.

The oral is huge so spend as much time practicing that as possible.

Advertisement