Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So an uninsured driver or hit-and-run driver crashes into you...

Options
  • 09-10-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

whats the score over here in Ireland if a hit and run or uninsured driver hits your car over here. What do you claim off is it your own insurance or is there some kind of Insurance pool? - personally it hasnt happened to me (thank God) and I hope it never will but I am just wondering what happens in those situations over here?

Comments

motor bureau of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

I had a hit and run in a car park recently. Reported to the gardai....They traced the driver. Had they not I had the choice of claiming against my own insu rance or mibi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

lollsangel wrote: »
    I had a hit and run in a car park recently. Reported to the gardai....They traced the driver. Had they not I had the choice of claiming against my own insu rance or mibi

For car damage rather than injury, you have to establish that the other vehicle was uninsured. If you weren't able to trace him, you can't claim from the MIBI

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

For car damage rather than injury, you have to establish that the other vehicle was uninsured. If you weren't able to trace him, you can't claim from the MIBI

Exactly. I got hit by an uninsured driver who drove off. Damage ran to thousands of €.

I wrote down the reg. Cops attended and found the driver that night. She denied any involvement but admitted all when they had a look at her car.

Made a claim on my policy and recovered through MIBI in 13 weeks.

Had I been unable get her details I'd have been liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

If you have fully comp insurance you cannot claim from MIBI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Amanda.ie wrote: »

so you claim on your own insurance and your premium goes up next time you renew? - is that what happens?

so you claim on your own insurance and your premium goes up next time you renew? - is that what happens?

Yes you have to claim from your own insurance. If you have NCB protected it should not go up. Sometimes it's better to pay yourself if it's not too costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Andy from Sligo where google doesnt exist.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ED E wrote: »
    Andy from Sligo where google doesnt exist.... :pac:

sometimes its quicker to ask on here - and cut out all the other noise .. oh and of course discuss :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I did. No problem at all.

My NCB was reinstated etc.

• Advertisement

I did. No problem at all.

My NCB was reinstated etc.

You had fully comp and you still claimed? Thought you couldn't.

You had fully comp and you still claimed? Thought you couldn't.

Yep.

Makes sense if you think about it. An uninsured car ploughed into mine. Totally their fault.

Why should I lose my ncb in those circumstances?

Yep.

Makes sense if you think about it. An uninsured car ploughed into mine. Totally their fault.

Why should I lose my ncb in those circumstances?

''No Claims Discount Protocol

Where the damaged vehicle is comprehensively insured, or where the damaged property is covered under a policy of insurance, the MIBI Agreement stipulates that the claim must be dealt with by the insurer of the vehicle or property. The settlement of such claims is governed by the MIBI No Claims Discount Protocol. This Protocol, agreed by MIBI and its Members, guarantees protection of the No Claims Bonus. ''

http://www.mibi.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

''No Claims Discount Protocol

Where the damaged vehicle is comprehensively insured, or where the damaged property is covered under a policy of insurance, the MIBI Agreement stipulates that the claim must be dealt with by the insurer of the vehicle or property. The settlement of such claims is governed by the MIBI No Claims Discount Protocol. This Protocol, agreed by MIBI and its Members, guarantees protection of the No Claims Bonus. ''

http://www.mibi.ie/

Do your know how the MIBI actually works?

Say my car is damaged by an unknown driver.

I contact the MIBI, they will then instruct an insurer to cover the cost of the claim.

This is done on a rota basis and depends on the percentage of motor business the insurer holds.

Ie, if an insurer has 20% of motor business in Ireland they will be instructed to cover 20% of the MIBI claims.

The insurer then claims the money back from the MIBI.

Its a round about way of getting things done really but its technically incorrect to say the MIBI pay for the claims, at least straight away.

In the case where a policy holder has comp cover then the MIBI will instruct their own insurer to cover that claim, the insurer will still be entitled to reimbursement from the MIBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Got hit in the back at traffic lights by car stopped behind me (A), which in turn was hit by another car (B). After exchanging all details, I notified my insurer. They said B is at fault, leave it with us. Couple of days later, they call me to tell me that B had no insurance, his policy had lapsed for non payment. They wanted to know if I wanted to claim off my insurance or take it to MIBI. Since I needed the car repaired quickly, I claimed off my insurance, but filed with MIBI anyway.

About three months later, I get a letter and a cheque from MIBI, for the sum I paid out of pocket, the policy excess. Claim was still not settled. Five months after that, at renewal time, my NCB was gone, and I had to pay full price for my next year. And then, right about a year after the accident, I get a letter from my insurer, and a cheque: my claim was settled off A's policy! They reinstated my bonus and refunded the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Do your know how the MIBI actually works?

In the case where a policy holder has comp cover then the MIBI will instruct their own insurer to cover that claim, the insurer will still be entitled to reimbursement from the MIBI.

Incorrect The MIBI is insurer of last resort. It there is a comp policy of insurance to cover the vehicle then the comp insurer deals with the claim and do not have right of recovery from the MIBI.

MIBI cover uninsured losses only.
    heres a link to the MIBI agreement,

http://www.mibi.ie/_fileupload/Signed_MIBI_Agreement_29_Jan_09.pdf

Advertisement