Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago ORD flight change

Options
  • 09-10-2016 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Flying to Texas in December and I was wondering whether or not 2 hours is sufficient time to allow for changing flights in ORD? I have flown through ORD before, changing to the domestic terminal and it was fine but I had 3.5 hour to wait. I am booking my whole flight through Aer Lingus, so I won't have to bother collecting bags and checking in again in Chicago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

2 hours is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Berserker wrote: »
    Flying to Texas in December and I was wondering whether or not 2 hours is sufficient time to allow for changing flights in ORD? I have flown through ORD before, changing to the domestic terminal and it was fine but I had 3.5 hour to wait. I am booking my whole flight through Aer Lingus, so I won't have to bother collecting bags and checking in again in Chicago.

AFAIK you will have to collect your bags when you land in ORD as US Customs requires declaration at the first port of entry. You then place your bags on a transfer belt for onward travel to Texas,

This is despite being booked all the way through and check in agents telling you your bags are all checked through to your final destination.

And if you miss your connection you will be put on the next available flight if the booking is all on one ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No no no

If arriving from Dublin (as its Aer Lingus) you are pre cleared, your bags will go through to destination

You will arrive international terminal so you will have to take the internal train to the departure terminal for your flight and go through security again

Advise = ensure you pick seats on the connecting flight before check in at Dublin, if you do then you should get the boarding cards for the connecting flight as well

No no no

If arriving from Dublin (as its Aer Lingus) you are pre cleared, your bags will go through to destination

You will arrive international terminal so you will have to take the internal train to the departure terminal for your flight and go through security again

Advise = ensure you pick seats on the connecting flight before check in at Dublin, if you do then you should get the boarding cards for the connecting flight as well

Apologies - I stand corrected.

Happened to me a few years ago with flights ex Dublin to LA via Philadelphia (with US Airways) and still had to collect bags in Philly for customs and transfer them onto belt.

Had been booked all the way through with boarding cards for the Philly/LA leg as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I also had to take bags through customs as original flight was from outside the US (before getting on internal US flight).

Customs and Immigration are different things

Should say it was simply a bag drop and we weren't searched. No more than a couple of minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

scout353 wrote: »
    Just spoke to my wife who travels frequently through ORD and she says you must pick up your bags at the first point of entry, go through customs and then put the bag on the transit belt for onward connections.

I ask this because there are lots of Irish people living abroad who post here....

Is your wife talking about a flight from Dublin where you do US pre-clearance prior to flying direct to ORD? I see no reason why you would need to go through CBP again if you've done it in Dublin where they even cover the US Dept of Ag. stuff about regulations on food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I've flown DUB - ORD and JFK with onward connecting flights and never had to collect my luggage

If you arrive pre cleared from Ireland (or Canada and the few other locations) you are treated as domestic and luggage goes to final destination

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

You will be fine.

I transferred there last week and there was 1hr 50 minutes between flights. You pre-clear customs as well at Dublin so your bags go through and there is a sign getting off the flight and you are in the main terminal in a couple of minutes and then on the train to the domestic terminal. You have to go through security again for the second flight but it was quick enough and no hassle.

If you are booked on the one ticket with Aer Lingus they would be responsible for getting you on another flight to your final destination if your flight was delayed in any case. All my 4 flights actually left early on this trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭steve-o

Just spoke to my wife who travels frequently through ORD...
    Please stop now. All flights from Ireland to Chicago are customs and immigration pre-cleared. If you have a connecting ticket your bags will be checked through. Conor84 describes the process exactly as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Conor84 wrote: »
    You will be fine.

I transferred there last week and there was 1hr 50 minutes between flights. You pre-clear customs as well at Dublin so your bags go through and there is a sign getting off the flight and you are in the main terminal in a couple of minutes and then on the train to the domestic terminal. You have to go through security again for the second flight but it was quick enough and no hassle.

If you are booked on the one ticket with Aer Lingus they would be responsible for getting you on another flight to your final destination if your flight was delayed in any case. All my 4 flights actually left early on this trip!

Thanks Conor84 and all. This mirrors the experience I had when I flew through ORD last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have a connecting flight next Monday at ORD. Over 5 hours to spare between flights.
    Going on American Airlines and onto Austin, all through Terminal 3 at ORD, presume it is all straightforward and I just stay on the departures side.

As I said, I stand corrected!

Just trying to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

As I said, I stand corrected!

Just trying to help!

Maybe you should edit your post?

Riskymove wrote: »
    Maybe you should edit your post?

Done and removed the misinformation.

I have left my original post so as to preserve the thread.

Again apologies for the confusion!

Advertisement