Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given Detention a week later.

Options
  • 09-10-2016 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

This is for my brother.

He forgot his pe gear last Friday. So did some other lads. They had too write out school rules during pe fair enough. The next week my brother had his gear, and did pe as normal, the same lads 'forgot' their gear again. This time they got Detention.

Now trying to get out of it, they said my brother forgot his gear last week and never got detention, but they seem to forget that so did they, and this is their second time, while last week was his first. My teacher gave the lads Detention for forgetting it twice, and then gave it to my brother for forgetting it once.

Now my brother isn't the type to question teachers, he is a high scoring student and is respectful of teachers. But this time he said there is no way I'm doing Detention, for two reasons
    He forget his gear once, while his class mates forgot it twice.
    A week had passed since the event, and you can't suddenly devide to give me Detention.

My parents are meeting with the year head and teacher next week, as they have no intention of allowing my brother to do Detention for the reasons my brother stated.

What do you think is right, and can the teacher give detention for an incident that he dealt with previously and then went back on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

What is the rule WRT forgetting PE kit ? Is it detention or writing out the school rules
    Why are people forgetting their kit? Is it a deliberate thing that the teacher is trying to stamp out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

That sounds very unfair to me.

It seems to me as if he is being double punished by getting detention and yet he only forgot his gear once unlike the others and had already been punished. Whereas the others are being punished twice as they forgot their gear twice but your brother only forgot it once!

I would not stand for that. I think your parents should definitely get involved. If I was in that position I would refuse to go to detention if they insisted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, it seems unfair to hand out a detention retrospectively because the other lads complained and targeted him, when they had no real basis to do so. (He must be very lucky with his classmates / friends! :rolleyes:)

However, the last thing your brother or you need is turning a minor issue into a storm in a teacup which will stick in the minds of everyone concerned for the remainder of your time in the school.

Encourage your parents not to go to the meeting they have arranged in "all guns blazing" mode.

"Sorry to take up your time, but there seems to have been a bit of a misunderstanding, this is what actually happened ..." or a similar approach leaves everyone with a bit of room to move, rather than setting out battle lines from the start.

Advertisement