Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick change DNS locally

Options
  • 09-10-2016 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi guys,

have any of you ever tried change the DNS on an Amazon Firestick and actually get it to work? I have changed the DNS on other android devices and they worked as expected.

I amusing a premium DNS service to access content locked down in specific locations.

I use Sky as my ISP so I can't change the DNS at router level. I am just curious to find out if any of you gus have had success at changing the DNS on the Firestick itself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

sitja wrote: »
    Hi guys,

have any of you ever tried change the DNS on an Amazon Firestick and actually get it to work? I have changed the DNS on other android devices and they worked as expected.

I amusing a premium DNS service to access content locked down in specific locations.

I use Sky as my ISP so I can't change the DNS at router level. I am just curious to find out if any of you gus have had success at changing the DNS on the Firestick itself?
    Good guide here on AFTVnews.com:
    http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-manually-configure-the-ip-address-or-dns-server-on-an-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sitja

Thanks bud. That was the guide I used to do it in the first place but still had no luck. That is why I am trying to figure if any users here can actually confirm that it works. Still though, I appreciate the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

I use overplay smart DNS, just used their guide for the firestick and had no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

cc wrote: »
    I use overplay smart DNS, just used their guide for the firestick and had no issues

I've also done it with no problems by following my DNS provider's instructions.

If you pay for your DNS, they should have instructions, customer service etc.

Just to confirm it worked for me too.

Was tricky to find, make sure you click 'Advanced' rather than 'Connect' at the point of entering your password.
    I also assigned a fixed IP address for the Fire TV stick (helps when using Yatse or other app for remote control of Kodi).
    If you have network details in already, make sure to forget them first before starting.

Reboot router and Fire TV stick when done to make sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sitja

Thanks for the responses guys. This is good to know, will try again, may be it was a simple configuration error I made. To confirm, all of you guys changed the DNS at the Firestick and not on the router itself?

Also, what service do you use it for, to confirm it works? I will install that App and check also just in case it is the service I use do not allow it. i.e. I know Netflix still won't work with certain DNS service providers.

Hi, yes, DNS changed (to Unotelly) at Fire TV Stick itself. My router is set to use OpenDNS by default.

BBC iPlayer is main thing I use it for, works perfectly (for now at least, until the BBC go the Netflix route of clamping down on DNS proxies!).

Advertisement