Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote accessing hack on my notebook

Options
  • 08-10-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi, have Express VPN app on my notebook, was talking 'live chat' to a technician, as the vpn wasn't connected properly. They suggested trying different connection settings on the app, after 4 different tries on connections, got one that worked. All good so far.
    8 days later, am using the VPN watching Netflix, and saw a curser move across my screen going over the bottom menu bar which popped up over what I was watching.
    I immediately shut all down, tried to disconnect the VPN which wouldn't, tried to uninstall the VPN too-eventually could see that I was connected to a VPN called 'Public VPN 51' on an 'ethernet' connection -managed to disconnect from it.
    I deleted all the cookies, caches and saved passwords- have changed all my passwords too.
    Googled a bit of how this could of happened-
    Found site saying that when you are 'live chatting' on particular sites ( eg the Express VPN) you're vulnerable to being hacked.
    My internet connection keeps dropping out while using my notebook now, but my phone is still connected to the internet perfectly.
    Can anyone explain to me what happened and what can I do to 'clean' my notebook from any malware put on it ? and advise what I can do to stop this happening again. So far I haven't seen any obvious problems as result of hack: my emails and other a/cs seem ok
    Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Reinstall operating system. Don't install malware in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sinesprockett

Could you be a bit more specific please?
    Much appreciated -thanks

Advertisement