Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Z3 Compact Screen & Case issues

Options
  • 08-10-2016 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a Z3 Compact for my sins and they screen is coming loose at the top left of the front screen.

The problem with this is that when answering a call the proximity sensor thinks that the phone is at my ear and blanks the screen - meaning that I can't handle answerphone messages, telephone banking or automated switchboards - as the screen will not display the numeric keypad.

I have noticed that if I press firmly on the loose corner that the device then begins to work correctly.

I phoned my provider and the guy I was speaking to said that there was a fault with them and he would try to get it down under that deal. I took it into the shop to get delivered to the repair centre and they basically sh1t all over the telephone guys comments before sending it away.

The phone does have a crack/scratch mid way down the handset and a small one on the back also. However, I don't believe these to be related. I believe it to be either a design fault or more likely due to the high temperatures emitted by this device. It gets really hot during prolonged surfing or any type of use.

For the privilege of fixing this handset they are looking €100.

On the way back from the shop I called into one of the independant repair shops and asked them how much would it cost to repair. I told them there was a crack on it. They quoted €12 to reseal the screen. He said there was no need to replace the screen unless I wanted a new one.

I've been looking online and it seems that to replace the screen the back has to come off too.

• Can a cracked screen be resealed or must a new screen be used?
    • Is resealing a screen simpler than replacing one?
    • I'd be fairly confident I could replace the screen myself, if necessary. How much are decent spares to make the changes?
    • Any recommendations for recommended spares?

Thanks,

Advertisement