Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest public transport way from Dusseldorf airport to Cologne & back (same day)

Options
  • 08-10-2016 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi, would anyone know what is the cheapest way to get from Dusseldorf airport to Cologne and back on the same day. Is there any combination of local bus and train I can use to get the best price possible.

I've heard there's a day ticket for about 26 euros, but am trying to find a cheaper option.

Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,137 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Try bahn.com the German railway website.

Lots if trains going from Düsseldorf airport to Cologne at all hours, ICE takes about 20mins, other local ones close to an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I think the NRW day (€27?) ticket is the best you will find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

embraer170 wrote: »
    I think the NRW day (€27?) ticket is the best you will find.

Much cheaper tickets for this journey are available from the local transport operators. The NRW ticket is not a good option for such a journey.

There are regular direct regional trains from Düsseldorf Airport to Köln Hbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

VG31 wrote:
    Much cheaper tickets for this journey are available from the local transport operators. The NRW ticket is not a good option for such a journey.

Thanks,. Can I just get them at the bus station or train station ? I'm going over tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

mikedublin wrote: »
    Thanks,. Can I just get them at the bus station or train station ? I'm going over tomorrow.

Yes whatever the transport company is in the region (I think it's called VRR) should have ticket machines at the train station. You can buy single or day tickets.

If you have any trouble you can ask in the DB Reisezentrum (DB Travel Centre) in Düsseldorf Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

VG31 wrote: »

There are regular direct regional trains from Düsseldorf Airport to Köln Hbf.

Correct me if I am wrong but DUS airport to Cologne would be a VRR Price Level D - €14.40 one way or €27.70 for a day ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

embraer170 wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong but DUS airport to Cologne would be a VRR Price Level D - €14.40 one way or €27.70 for a day ticket.

According to VRS it's Price Class 5
    Preisstufe 5 [RegioTicket] 11,30 € each way

https://www.vrsinfo.de/fahrplan/fahrplanauskunft.html

More info on the complete clusterf*ck between VRS and VRR Regions :)
    https://gedankenausbruch.com/tipps-tricks/deutsche-bahn-anschlussticket-von-vrr-vrs-nach-koeln/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its a VRS zone 5 ticket

Thats valid from anywhere in Dusseldorf City (43/53) to anywhere in the Koln city centre zone

Good news is in Dusseldorf its fares A, B, C, D in Koln its 1, 2, 3, 4 so its obvious when you are buying the ticket that you have the right one

Choice is two singles or the day ticket, there is no return option

Ticket is NOT valid on IC/EC/ICE trains only RB/RE/S/U/T

RE5 is what you are looking for

Trains are frequent and there are several routings, so you might be faster getting the first trains to Dusseldorf and changing there, if you are arriving with Aer Lingus, its quicker to use the suburban station under terminal C (S11 route either stay on for direct to Koln or change at Dusseldorf for a faster regional train) than drag out to the mainline station

Cathedral is right outside the station door, Fruh is worth a visit for lunch its 2 minutes from the Cathedral

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Its a VRS zone 5 ticket

Thats valid from anywhere in Dusseldorf City (43/53) to anywhere in the Koln city centre zone

Good news is in Dusseldorf its fares A, B, C, D in Koln its 1, 2, 3, 4 so its obvious when you are buying the ticket that you have the right one

Choice is two singles or the day ticket, there is no return option

Ticket is NOT valid on IC/EC/ICE trains only RB/RE/S/U/T

RE5 is what you are looking for

Trains are frequent and there are several routings, so you might be faster getting the first trains to Dusseldorf and changing there, if you are arriving with Aer Lingus, its quicker to use the suburban station under terminal C (S11 route either stay on for direct to Koln or change at Dusseldorf for a faster regional train) than drag out to the mainline station

Cathedral is right outside the station door, Fruh is worth a visit for lunch its 2 minutes from the Cathedral

S11 has been completely funked the past couple of weeks.

Just ask someone when downstairs if it looks fairly empty on the platform. If it's not running you'll need to use the Regiobahn which is a short sky train journey to the Airport railway station (like goingnowhere mentioned)

You can use the same ticket for S-Bahn as Regiobahn (RE)

If there's a group of you drivenow is also an option, you can register online, take a card at the Sixt Station in the Airport and go directly from the Airport Car Park to Cologne and leave the car anywhere in the City. You can also use it for trips around Cologne/Dusseldorf
    https://de.drive-now.com/en/

• Advertisement
Advertisement