Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intonation on a Squire Jaguar

Options
  • 07-10-2016 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a Squire Vintage Modified Jaguar. I know it's a cheap enough guitar, but I'm not happy at all with the tuning of the fretted notes on most strings.

I've done some very simple adjustments of the bridge screws, similar to this guide (http://hazeguitars.com/blog/setting-intonation-on-a-jaguar-jazzmaster-or-mustang) to try and get the open and 12th frets tuned correctly. I have it pretty good in this regard.

As soon as I fret anything though, it's way off, particularly the low frets.

So for example, open G is bang on tune. 1st fret is half way to an A!!! 2nd fret is about 25% sharp A, 3rd fret 10% sharp and so on. Things get better around the 7th fret and upward. Needless to say open chords sound horrendous, even with all open strings perfectly in tune.

Can anybody point me in the right direction in what I need to adjust here? I thought it might be something to do with the truss rod, but the high E string is bang on from open pretty much all the way up the fretboard.

Could a shop sort this out for me, or is this just the result of buying cheap? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

You won't need to touch the truss rod for intonation.

You can end up with slight variation as you move up further on the neck but not off as much as you mention. It definitely shouldn't be off by that much at the 1st fret if you've intonated it. Is it definitely intonated at the 12th fret?

Where are you based in Dublin?

There are a few shops around that'll do setups. Some send out the work to local techs. I've used Jimmy's Music Store in Walkinstown a few times for some work that I couldn't or didn't have the tools for (new nut etc.). They do the work in house and are pretty well priced.

There are also some techs around the city that work out of their own shops, but are usually appointment only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Sounds to me like your nut is to high. It's hard to expect to do only one step of a setup and expect everything to be ok. Either get someone to do it or Google a setup guide and do all steps. Those guitars may be relatively cheap, but you get a lot for your money, and when setup right play great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have P.M.'d you the details of a guitar tech that I have gone to and I was very happy with the results...and the cost. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

That's it Noby, just getting back into playing guitar after a few years absence, and went with the newer Squire range on recommendation that they're great value. So I was pretty disappointed when I received mine, it sounds absolutely terrible with open chords!

I think dropping it into somebody is the way to go alright, somebody who knows what they're doing can probably sort it out and make it sound well.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Actually while I'm here...any recommendations for a guitar setup in the city center, Dublin 1 and 2?

Cheers for your recommendation Rigsby, but Rathfarnham is a bit out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Trine wrote: »
    Actually while I'm here...any recommendations for a guitar setup in the city center, Dublin 1 and 2?

Cheers for your recommendation Rigsby, but Rathfarnham is a bit out for me.

I used Benny Cryan last year for some work on my bass and was very happy. He went beyond what I was expecting and I was very happy with the result.

He's based on Abbey Street, upstairs on the corner opposite the Flowing Tide above the newsagent. Here's the number 085 272 0691

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

If your only after buying it bring it back to the shop you bought it in and they should do a free setup

If you bought it online contact them also as its under warranty.

If youve just bought it you could ask for a replacement .

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Also what guage strings are you using? Sometimes I find with low gauge strings, it is quite easy to go sharp if pressing too hard on the fret.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

try a capo.

capo 1st fret, get it in tune and see how things sound.

if it's better than open, then the issue is the nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

JohnBee wrote: »
    Also what guage strings are you using? Sometimes I find with low gauge strings, it is quite easy to go sharp if pressing too hard on the fret.

No harm in going up a size on a jag anyway. I used 11s on mine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement