Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are your kids getting on with Rugby (or similar sports)?

Options
  • 07-10-2016 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

Thread for the Dad's out there, bringing their kids to Rugby.

How are you young ones getting on? Are they enjoying it as much as you did?

In my own case, my young fella (nearly age 7, so U8) likes watching the Rugby, knows most of the players and he plays a range of sports. His favourite right now is Soccer. One thing that is a concern is that he doesn't like the way GAA is a bit rough but then I say well fair enough maybe you won't like Rugby. But he doesn't think Rugby is as rough as GAA.

So this got me thinking... Maybe he doesn't like the way in GAA, players just can kinda hit, bang each other a bit randomly and there's a lack of clarity what is actually allowed and what isn't allowed.

Whereas in Rugby, it's very clear what is and isn't allowed. The tackle is all about skill really. And if you do it right it shouldn't hurt either player.

There's an element of GAA where you can randomly bang people:
    * Whack for the ball and hit their wrist
    * Shoulder them but use your elbow at the same time
    * Approach them from behind and put two arms around their back (technically I don't think this is allowed but everyone is doing it)

I think kids who seem to prefer GAA are bit more ok with the rough the tumble and tend if they get a bang to just give one back. Note 1: I like all the various sports not trying to have a dig here. Just interested in the difference between them and it's the kids decision at the end of it.

Note 2: I mean GAA Football here. He actually prefers Hurling.

Other points, in GAA and rugby there seems to much bigger emphasis on team ethos from even a young age. Soccer very good for individual skill though - so some good things there as well.

Thoughts from any of the Dad's out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Our house is gaa and rugby. Not a fan of soccer where I am as lads seem to move clubs if they're good. Gaa and rugby you stick with your club for the long haul. No streaming till their older is something I'm a big fan of. Most of lads play gaa and rugby together a big gang spending lots of time together. Gaa helps handling for rugby and rugby helps physicality for gaa. Hopefully they'll keep as much up as lo g as they can and stay buddies with each other. It's a small town so they live in each other's pocket and there's good and bad in that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Enjoying hurling but finding Gaelic football rough is bizarre. I love hurling but I was never cut out to play it; just don't have the kamikaze gene. Never played Gaelic until two weeks ago with an ex-pat club. I'd always found it an awful game to watch but I have a huge respect for the fitness of the players after two hours of absolutely constant running, turning, chasing and having an absolute whale of a time. Was in bits for days.

That's not really here nor there. My son is on his third attempt at playing rugby. He likes the game, or at least wants to succeed at it, but is not great at taking the knocks or throwing himself into tackles. It'll come, as long has he keeps at it and doesn't get discouraged by the Autumn and Winter weather. He was previously with my club which is a verfy small, tight-knit club but is now with the local club which is a professional setup with underage groups of 50+ players. I prefer the smaller setup but sure let him on with it.

Advertisement