Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seven year old PC. Is it worth an upgrade?

Options
  • 07-10-2016 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My old desktop has an ASUS P6T SE motherboard, an Intel Core i7 950 CPU running at 3GHz, 8Gb of RAM, 2TB Western Digital HDD, and an old Radeon video card, powered by a Corsair 450W PSU.
    Is there a video card worth buying that would run on the above and turn it into a decent platform for some of today's games? Or is if too old for this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Might be worth grabbing something on the second hand market and see how you get on.

Maybe this?

http://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/sapphire-hd-7970-vapor-x/11337533

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The processor is getting on a bit. It would bottleneck some newer cards but you should still see a good performance increase with a midrangish card. Something like a gtx 1060 or a rx 470/480 or a second hand gtx 970. PCIe 2.0 shouldn't hold those cards back too much if at all.

Luckily you have the i7 instead of the i5. Overclock the cpu if you can. It will have a big effect on performance. You should still be able to get another few years out of it with 1 of the above cards before it needs a full upgrade.

I'd grab an ssd as well. Probably only sata2 on that board but it's still going to be a lot faster than a hdd. Stick windows and your most played games on that. You can transfer this over to a new build anyway so it's worth it.

Advertisement