Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After encephalitis

Options
  • 07-10-2016 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this should go in personal issues, job problems or here.

Over the past 4 years I have had meningitis 3 times. 1st was mild, 3rd took a few weeks to get under control. In the middle of that, the 2nd bout developed in encephalitis, I remember nothing from the week before (bar 1 or 2 incidents) to a week after being released from hospital. I had 5 seizures and was in an induced coma for 2 days. While is hospital I fractured my back but that's another story.

In a way I was lucky, I had taken time out of work and stayed off for about 3 months. I came back to do roughly the same tasks as I had before, stuff I could do in my sleep. I had thought I had gotten away with it lightly.
    Anyway, jobs changed and suddenly I'm now in a world where I have no concentration, no confidence, a stammer and vision problems when stressed.
    Before, I was considered a problem solver in work, I would have considered myself very good at what I did, granted I had 15 years under my belt doing it but if something when wrong I was able to fix it.
    The new job, while not incredibly enjoyable, is quite simple, separate and distribute stock, a small part of what was my previous job. Yet I still manage to mess it is time and time again. My concentration goes, I can't remember what i have done and what needs to be done. This filters down to my personal life and the lack of being able to hold any sort of decent conversation even with my wife.
    Along with this, there is the fatigue and balance issues, I have been having "discussions" with my nuero about giving up driving but I think I have pushed it as far as I can. I meet with him in Feb and he has been getting more and more persistent at each appointment. I also feel that if my work continues at this standard for much longer they will have very right to let me go.

Anyway that's my rant, just wondering if there are any more out there that have been through this.

Advertisement