Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your number?

Options
  • 06-10-2016 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭

I have been at about 50 GAA grounds throughout the country, probably about 30 club grounds in my county and around 20 pitches in the rest of the country, never been at one outside Ireland. I am sure some have been at hundreds. What is your number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

blackcard wrote: »
    I have been at about 50 GAA grounds throughout the country, probably about 30 club grounds in my county and around 20 pitches in the rest of the country, never been at one outside Ireland. I am sure some have been at hundreds. What is your number?

No idea of the number, but probably nothing like as high as that. I love when I'm in an area of Ireland I'm not familiar with passing a gaa pitch or club for some reason, always find myself googling the club if it's one I don't know. Abroad I once played in Brussels and am currently involved in getting a hurling team going in the states. It's fantastic to see abroad too but for the opposite reason, such a weird sight to see lads pucking ball in the deep south on a Sunday, whereas in Ireland the clubs are such an intimate part of the fabric of the place you see it, the community, of course, but even the geography.

Now, I've made myself homesick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Only counties I haven't seen a game in are Kerry, Clare (which should change in 2017), Waterford, Mayo, Sligo and Kilkenny.
    One of the "advantages" of Meath's demise means I've visited more "exotic" parts of the country following them.
    In Meath I'd say there are only a handful of club's pitches I haven't seen or played a game in. Probably 30 or 40 in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Only county I've never been at a Dublin game is Sligo,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Only counties I haven't seen a game in are Kerry, Clare (which should change in 2017), Waterford, Mayo, Sligo and Kilkenny

I've been to games in all the Munster counties bar Waterford,
    All Ulster bar Fermanagh and I'm not sure about Antrim I think I went to a hurling league game years ago but I've no memory of it.

Only Galway, Mayo and Roscommon over west

My own back yard,
    Never Carlow or Louth, pretty sure I was at a number games when Steve Staunton's brother played but I think they were in Laois. I've never been to a game in Wicklow either.
    TBH most of the grounds all roll into one in my head, Monaghan sticks out, as does Derry and Castlebar, but that kind of old style ground like there use to be in Limerick (did they have bits of croaker there at one stage ) they all roll into one in my memory

Advertisement