Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Desktop Search Application

Options
  • 06-10-2016 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend a free or relatively cheap desktop search application for windows 10. I used to use Copernic (upto version 4) and found it (!) very good. Just wondering if there's anything more recent / better that I could use instead? Needs to be able to search within Office and .pdf documents, in outlook and in attachments

If I can find where I put the install file for Copernic 4, I could always go back to that ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've used AstroGrep in Windows 7, presumably it's just as good in 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

doesn't search outlook though? or does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Probably not come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

ablelocks wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a free or relatively cheap desktop search application for windows 10. I used to use Copernic (upto version 4) and found it (!) very good. Just wondering if there's anything more recent / better that I could use instead? Needs to be able to search within Office and .pdf documents, in outlook and in attachments

If I can find where I put the install file for Copernic 4, I could always go back to that ...

I use Search Everything from https://www.voidtools.com
    It's free and works very well :)

I use Search Everything from https://www.voidtools.com
    It's free and works very well :)

only searches file/folder name - I need something to search within the document and in outlook

• Advertisement

I found the install file for version 3.7 of Copernic, which was the last relatively fully featured free version. However, it is not allowing me to index Outlook, which it did in Windows 8. there must be a setting in Win10 that needs to be checked/unchecked or changed - anyone have any idea what it could be? In copernic, the option to index Outlook is greyed out.

I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Office 365 Enterprise (I think) Licence

still stuck on this - need to get this sorted or get an alternative....so any help or recommendation would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would suspect your Outlook version is too new for that version, rather than it being a settings change. Outlooks interfaces and storage formats change.

Searching within Outlook with any level of reliability is complex enough that you are unlikely to find a decent free or cheap tool to do it. If its valuable enough for you work-wise you may need to decide if the cost is justified. Copernic is not particularly dear.

Advertisement