Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interrailing in Europe Jan-March

• 06-10-2016 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

My boyfriend and I are going to travel around Europe starting in early January, coming home mid March probably. We've a rough itinerary, starting with 1 week in Barcelona (this is set), flying to Rome-Florence-Venice-Munich- Prague-Vienna- Lake Bled- Split- Sofia- Bucarest- Budapest- Krakow-Warsaw-Berlin-Amsterdam-Ireland (I know its alot of places, so we'll prioritse where we want to go, plus we'll be away for 2.5 months)
    Has anyone anytips for interrailing at this time of year? Anywhere to avoid/put in?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 galwaygirl.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

January is winter, so potentially cold, to very cold, to "I cant believe how cold it is " cold.
    On the positive, you could do a spot of skiing, but its a costly bit of fun.

As for places to visit, aside from lake bled its all cities and even then large ones. You could add in smaller cities like Nüremburg, Regensburg, Bamberg, Potsdam and theres various castles or medieval towns in Germany / Czech republic which you could also research and add in.
    Also the likes of Bruges is lovely, Ghent being a similar but lively version of it, and Leuven outside Brussels is also worth a look as its reasonably cheap thanks to the massive student population. On a similar note, Cologne and Dusseldorf are ok places to visit, but are great for food and drink and a bit of craic at night. Hamburg could be slipped in either on way from Berlin to Amsterdam and its a nice civilised city in the main, with the crazy party area down by the Reeperbahn.

With the interrail pass you can do the big parts of the journey cheaply and flexibly, and get single tickets for cheap in east europe, or busses, or regional rail passes in Germany and the low countries.

Advertisement