Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landrover Defender 110. VRT

Options
  • 06-10-2016 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there guys. I know this has been debated on numerous other posts, but have just returned from my local vrt office and really am no further on.
    I am in the process of negotiating a purchase on an ex utility defender 110 in the Uk.

The car is a 2011 registered factory made 3 door commercial, though the very kind lady in VRT was not entirely sure of the rate of tax due, though did side on the side of caution and said it will likely be 13.5% (3500 euros) and not the flat 200.00 euros.

I have tried ringing the revenue to confirm, but again no answer.

Does anyone on the forum have any experience of taking a commercial Defender from the Uk and paying the relevant vrt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

Hi, I brought in a Commerical 90 earlier this year, that qualified for the €200 VRT. 110's are 13.5% though AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rkcorry

Hi there, thanks for the reply, glad to hear you got your Defender inmported for a flat fee.
    Though the Revenue site would indicate that the 110 fill the criteria to qualify for CAT C, in regards GVW and load bed to wheelbase percentage, coupled this with be manufactured with less than four seat.

on the other hand the 90 Defender would not fill the GVW and loadbed to wheelbase to qualify for CAT C.

Note: N1 Vehicles - qualification for Revenue Category C
    Light Commercial Vehicles may also qualify for the Revenue Category C rate (applicable to heavier Commercial vehicles - see below), depending on their load carrying capacity. A vehicle that at all stages of manufacture is classified as a category N1 vehicle with less than 4 seats, and has, at any stage of manufacture, a technically permissible maximum laden mass that is greater than 130 per cent of the mass in service of the vehicle with body work in running order, may be categorised as Revenue Category C for VRT purposes only.
    This does not apply to Motor Caravans.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056832742/1/#post85896714

The first post in this is what I went on for my 90. If your 110 has only 2 seats it should qualify for the €200 rate. When I suggested the 13.5% rate previous, I thought your 110 had 5 seats, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

I'm looking at a 110 myself, but trying to nail down the VRT as it obviously influences the budget.

Is the 13.5% on the price i pay from the UK dealer?

Also, does anyone know if the 5 seat Utility qualifies for the commercial fee?

johnk123 wrote: »
    I'm looking at a 110 myself, but trying to nail down the VRT as it obviously influences the budget.

Is the 13.5% on the price i pay from the UK dealer?

Also, does anyone know if the 5 seat Utility qualifies for the commercial fee?

It's 13.5% of the OMSP as determined by Revenue, however Defenders aren't as sought after over here as much as they are in the UK so the revenues OMSP might be realistically close to what you actually pay for it. With regards the 5 seat utility, id have said it def would have qualified for the 13.5% commercial fee up until lately as it would be N1 on the Log book, however the rules changed in November with regards crew cabs. Now I wouldn't be so sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

ballinadog wrote: »
    It's 13.5% of the OMSP as determined by Revenue, however Defenders aren't as sought after over here as much as they are in the UK so the revenues OMSP might be realistically close to what you actually pay for it. With regards the 5 seat utility, id have said it def would have qualified for the 13.5% commercial fee up until lately as it would be N1 on the Log book, however the rules changed in November with regards crew cabs. Now I wouldn't be so sure
    Thanks Ballinadog, you're thinking seems to be along the same rationale as myself. I had thought the same about the 5 seat utility, I guess some more research needed on my end to see if i can get my head around the rule changes.

The OMSP is what is holding up me pulling the trigger on a normal station wagon 5 seater as nobody i contact in revenue can give me a quote on any of the potential vehicles I'm looking at. If the VRT is the same between the Utility and the Station Wagon, then i'd go SW as I like the look of the glass in the back, but if it's a saving of a few grand I'll go with the utility.

johnk123 wrote: »
    Thanks Ballinadog, you're thinking seems to be along the same rationale as myself. I had thought the same about the 5 seat utility, I guess some more research needed on my end to see if i can get my head around the rule changes.

The OMSP is what is holding up me pulling the trigger on a normal station wagon 5 seater as nobody i contact in revenue can give me a quote on any of the potential vehicles I'm looking at. If the VRT is the same between the Utility and the Station Wagon, then i'd go SW as I like the look of the glass in the back, but if it's a saving of a few grand I'll go with the utility.

Well the SW would be down as a M1 passenger vehicle on the log book so that def won't qualify for the 13.5%. I'm like you, I liked the look of the glass in the back, so my plan is once the 3 year warranty is up (I bought my 90 HT new) is to bring it back to England and get it modified (it's an industry in itself over there) which is surprisingly not that exp

Thanks guys for the replies, I am leaning toward the flat fee duty, as the lwb van 110 ticks all the boxes on the revenue site.
    I have a booking made for an inspection, so will report back on the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Defender spender

Rkcorry wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the replies, I am leaning toward the flat fee duty, as the lwb van 110 ticks all the boxes on the revenue site.
    I have a booking made for an inspection, so will report back on the outcome.
    Hi Rkcorry - how did your inspection get on? Also did anyone else have any further experience with a 110 utility!?

The Vrt fee in my case was indeed the lower amount of 200.00 euros, though the Defender in question was only ever a three door van.
    I would suspect the utility vehicle may be charged as a crew cab.

• Advertisement
Advertisement