Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly question

Options
  • 06-10-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm new to Ireland and am considering teaching here. I taught in the States for over 13 years. But the system is different from what I am used to and I have loads of questions.

1. What is the daily pay for secondary substitute teaching?
    2. What are the qualifications necessary to substitute?
    3. Is it worth the nearly 500 euro fee to get my cert evaluated here?
    4. What is starting pay for contracted secondary teachers?
    5. Where do I find the teaching standards (what things teachers must teach)?

I would really appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

nu2eire wrote: »
    I'm new to Ireland and am considering teaching here. I taught in the States for over 13 years. But the system is different from what I am used to and I have loads of questions.

You will probably be paid on the new scale so you will be paid ~€35 which includes holiday pay which you will get at Christmas and Easter holidays. More information here http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scales/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-february-1-2012/

You have to be registered with the Teaching Council in order to get paid. You also need to be Garda Vetted prior to start in the school.

Yes because if the Teaching Council don't recognise your qualifications, you can't register and you have to be registered in order to get paid from the department.

See the above link.

I presume you mean the syllabus which can be found by putting in your subject and syllabus and it should appear in results. I don't know if there is a website maybe try ncca . For the new JC - the syllabus can be found here:

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/Senior-cycle/Curriculum

Register for subteacher for substitution and/or call into schools with CV. I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

nu2eire wrote: »

Pay varies with experience and qualifications.

There is no daily rate for Second level.
    It's an hourly rate and is the gross salary divided by 726 or thereabouts so a teacher on point one of the scale would revive 30,000/726 or around €41.32 per hour.

Check out the Teaching Council of Ireland's website for further info about registering.
    You have to be a registered teacher to be paid from State funds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Pay varies with experience and qualifications.

There is no daily rate for Second level.
    It's an hourly rate and is the gross salary divided by 726 or thereabouts so a teacher on point one of the scale would revive 30,000/726 or around €41.32 per hour.

Yeah but they take a % for holiday pay so it's about €35

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What are your subjects?

Advertisement