Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Lights

Options
  • 06-10-2016 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi All

Its getting darker earlier and this year I'd like to extend my work commute into the darkness of winter (Last year I stopped around mid OCT - Early April). l have (Cateye) rear and front lights - I had them when I lived in London and they were expensive (to me) around £40 each and are decent when on intermittant flash setting (i.e. you'll be seen quite well by cars etc.) I do need something to light up the road though - ideally so I can see a good bit of the road and not blind any oncoming traffic.

Anyone out there have any recommendations ? Not sure how possible this is and wondering if anyone has similiar experience etc (Basically rural winter cycling when dark with sufficient lights)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Fian

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicycle-Light-7-Watt-2000-Lumens-3-Mode-CREE-Q5-LED-cycling-Front-Light-Bike-lights/32442972668.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.XDNfea

I bought two of these (for different bikes) off ALI express recently. Small, light, secure mount and bright. I wouldn't want to go off road biking using it as my only light, but for commuting even in unlit areas it is grand.

Not sure what the battery life will be like, it only takes 1 AA battery and it is bright so I expect will need replacement before the winter is over, but I am definitely happy with it. For €3.50 you can't really go wrong, you could buy four of them and mount them all side by side if you wanted to blind oncoming traffic!

Takes a few weeks to be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

cupan_tae wrote: »
    Anyone out there have any recommendations ? Not sure how possible this is and wondering if anyone has similiar experience etc (Basically rural winter cycling when dark with sufficient lights)

Thanks

There's only one answer here. Hub dynamo and proper lights

You'll get set up for
    You'll also need a portable torch for repairing punctures 'cos the lights work when you're rolling and cannot be removed from the bike...

You can spend more on dynamo and wheel but the lights are pretty excellent. They're what I use on overnight Audax rides and what I use for my commute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Are we at the stage where this should just be a seasonal sticky? This is the 5th or so such thread in a few weeks, and there were 2 long threads last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Weepsie wrote: »
    Are we at the stage where this should just be a seasonal sticky?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

anyone recommend rear lights ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Over the top but I have a Garmin varia rear light/radar expensive but great peace of mind for me. Cateye volt 700 up front and both lights turned on everytime I'm out on the bike day or night

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Only cat eye light I had lasted a couple of months before it stopped working. I buy several lights at a time from dx.com if they ar button batteries I throw em away when flat.
    Front lights I have big cree ones from there which will stop a car (cos they have no idea what you are)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Only cat eye light I had lasted a couple of months before it stopped working. I buy several lights at a time from dx.com if they ar button batteries I throw em away when flat.
    Front lights I have big cree ones from there which will stop a car (cos they have no idea what you are)

That website is dangerous !!!!!
    sooo....much...to.....buy....... cheap ......:p

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

if they ar button batteries I throw em away when flat.

You could just buy some cheap button batteries instead of throwing the whole light away.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cupan_tae

cdaly_ wrote: »

You'll also need a portable torch for repairing punctures 'cos the lights work when you're rolling and cannot be removed from the bike...

Excellent tip hadn't thought of this thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cupan_tae

Borderfox wrote: »
    Over the top but I have a Garmin varia rear light/radar expensive but great peace of mind for me. Cateye volt 700 up front and both lights turned on everytime I'm out on the bike day or night

Sounds like a decent set up, I'm
    Thinking to keep my flashers d the just have something decent up front to illuminate road etc for around 100€ - Cateye volt 700 might be the job thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

I've been using (front)Light & Motion Stella 300 (2 X 150 lumens) led lights for the last 7 plus years. I use them in a mix of urban and rural settings and never had a problem with seeing or being seen. Dual lights mean you have the choice of where you aim the light, which is great when pushing on on unlit country roads. Expensive to buy at the time €150 afair but a very worthwhile investment. Battery still holds a charge and run time is around 2 to 3 hours depending on what setting you have it on. On the rear I have a Tesco bought twin flashing light that gives off a very bright light and is weather proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Effects wrote: »
    You could just buy some cheap button batteries instead of throwing the whole light away.

Yeh i do that but the lights never seem to last once they are through the first set. Bought some dura cell button batteries and they worked well enough but we're more expensive than the lights.
    You're right though I should ve more eco friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Effects wrote: »

I usually throw the bike over a wall when I get a puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... Bought some dura cell button batteries...
    I read that first as dura ace batteries and was thinking FFS it gone to a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I read that first as dura ace batteries and was thinking FFS it gone to a whole new level.

You know you're cycling obsessed when ^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Looking at a new setup for the new bike.

Shimano Deore XT DH-UR705- Dynamo ( rim can take 140 kg)
    DT Swiss 545D 28/29 Disc Rim
    And a few other bits in German
    Center lock adopters

Rose are giving a price if 187 to build it , Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Chiparus

ted1 wrote: »
    Looking at a new setup for the new bike.

Shimano Deore XT DH-UR705- Dynamo ( rim can take 140 kg)
    DT Swiss 545D 28/29 Disc Rim
    And a few other bits in German
    Center lock adopters

Rose are giving a price if 187 to build it , Any thoughts ?

I think you have posted in the wrong thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chiparus wrote: »
    I think you have posted in the wrong thread?

It’s s Dynamo wheel to power my winter lights. No messing with batteries. 100lux all day everyday and a rear light.

Advertisement