Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy components for build?

Options
  • 06-10-2016 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Looking to build a HTPC / home server in the next few months and curious what some of the best places to get components are. I'm relatively new to this side of the world, so not overly familiar with the options. I have no problem ordering online; I get a lot of stuff that way.

Not that it should matter, but it's going to be something low power that stays connected to the TV for watching media, and runs a webserver and a number of other services 24/7. I had a machine for the last 5 years or so and loved it, but couldn't bring it over when we moved.

I don't mind spending as this will hopefully last the next 5 years, but I'd prefer to know where the best prices can be found before I start putting together my list.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Most of us here use Geizhals.de. They're a German price comparison site.

I personally use MindFactory.de, as they're usually at or near the top of most of Geizhals' price lists, and their selection is pretty massive. They do a "per box" flat shipping fee of €30. Most everything will fit in one box, except for cases, and (possibly) monitors. Keyboards are usually got from a UK site as well, because UK layout, but if you're coming from the US, you could just as easily order an International (US) layout one from MindFactory (pretty sure they stock them).

For those things, people usually use Amazon(.co.uk), Overclockers, or Scan. Amazon is Amazon. OCUK and Scan are pretty similar, though OCUK tends to have a slightly better selection of stuff, while being slightly more expensive.

Whenever you're closer to the time of buying stick up a thread ("How to ask for computer build help" has a first post you can use as a template) and we'll sort you out. A few of us here run home server builds as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I tend to stick with Overclockers and Amazon.co.uk as they have never let me down. Try and avoid any Irish sites tho as their prices tend to be stupidly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

www.curiua.com is handy for comparing prices across the different EU amazon sites.

Advertisement