Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car dealer sold write-off without informing buyer

Options
  • 05-10-2016 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

My partner bought a used corsa from a ford dealer last weekend. He knows plenty about cars so I didn't intervene and figured he'd do his homework.

Fast forward to today and after ringing one insurance company after the other, we are informed that the car was a Cat D write-off in the UK and nobody he has rang so far will insure him.

I know it's easy to say he should have known better, but considering this is a well established dealer, would there be any legal recourse available in this situation? There isn't even a reference to any incident in the service book. He's going to be considerably out of pocket if we can't find a solution.

Edit: If anybody happens to know insurers that DO insure cat d write-offs in ireland, please let me know.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Cat D write off are just uneconomical for insurers to repair, but they are fully repairable and in most cases sold by insurance company to motor trade for them to repair and sell on.

Remember the insurance company adds the full cost of repair including the hire car while the car is off the road.

In many cases the damage is quite minor, but the figures just don't add up for insurers.

Here's info from rac

http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/what-is-a-category-d-car-insurance-write-off/

As for insurance - try a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If they're a main dealer then they'll have a reputation to uphold. It's quite likely they didn't know the cars past when they sold it.
    I would pay for a history check, print it out. And also get the refusals of insurance printed if possible.
    Ask to speak to the dealer principal of the garage and the salesman and state your case.
    Cat D is a less serious category of write off, but if it's affecting insurance and the resale value then it's a big deal to your partner.

That's what would be termed a "trade car" - one you sell off to the trade/auctions for the less established dealers to sell.

Has she collected the car yet? I'd imagine she hasn't if she hasn't done insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fminus

I mean it seems perfect. He has no issues about driving it after finding out. But if nobody will insure it that's no good. Will take your advice and make a case to the dealer and see what they say. Expect to be shown the door, but you never know.

Has he collected it, is there finance or a trade in involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fminus

Collected. No finance or trade.

• Advertisement

Should be much less complicated in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

If no resolution with the dealer, then assuming Dealer is a SIMI member, contact SIMI. See here for SIMI details and protocol for complaint

Advertisement