Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a level 5/6 tutor

Options
  • 05-10-2016 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice from people working in colleges of further education. I have a level 8 qualification and I am interested in working as a tutor to level 5 and 6 students in the same area. I myself originally started out in a similar course and was taught by a person who worked in the profession but had no formal teaching qualifications.
    What is the situation like today? Does it depend on the college? Would doing a course like the new train the trainer course be worthwhile?
    Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

I'm looking for advice from people working in colleges of further education. I have a level 8 qualification and I am interested in working as a tutor to level 5 and 6 students in the same area. I myself originally started out in a similar course and was taught by a person who worked in the profession but had no formal teaching qualifications.
    What is the situation like today? Does it depend on the college? Would doing a course like the new train the trainer course be worthwhile?
    Thanks everyone

Currently working in a College of Further Education as support staff. I also hold a Level 8 Qualification and have been asked by the director to consider doing a H.Dip in Further Education. They have also signed me up for a Teaching Council number (once you have a Level 8 qualification this is possible if your degree holds teachable subjects).
    From what I know, a H.Dip in either Post-Primary or Further Ed is what is required. However, I know from work now that some of the tutors there are using their train the trainer qualification so maybe it depends on what you wish to teach, but I'm not entirely sure of that.
    Those holding the train the trainer course are in the areas of childcare and nursing while those with the H.Dip are in the areas of business, computing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Thanks for your reply Westeros. Since I first posted I've heard about the part time dip in further education in NUIG and I'm considering doing that next year. I'm a veterinary nurse looking to teach animal care so I'm not sure if the Teaching Council would recognise that. I think I'll hold off on doing the train the trainer for now anyway although it would be tempting to get it out of the way now while I have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Thanks for your reply Westeros. Since I first posted I've heard about the part time dip in further education in NUIG and I'm considering doing that next year. I'm a veterinary nurse looking to teach animal care so I'm not sure if the Teaching Council would recognise that. I think I'll hold off on doing the train the trainer for now anyway although it would be tempting to get it out of the way now while I have the time.

I might have a look at that course in NUIG myself!
    I'm in the same position re the Train the Trainer course, I should probably be looking in to getting it done now too. Trying to weigh up the Train the Trainer and TEFL and which to go with first.
    Just bear in mind that becoming permanent as a teacher/tutor in either Further Ed or Secondary School is next to near impossible at the moment. Those that are not made permanent may not be paid during the summer months and a lot of tutors, at least where I'm working at the moment, are using their Train the Trainer course for Solas (Fás) during the summer or TEFL so it is definitely worthwhile trying to get one done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I was thinking of it more as a part time/evening thing which is probably even harder to find employment in!

Advertisement